A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 Camshaft seals? Source?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.8 Camshaft seals? Source?

As the motor I am putting in is used, I want to make sure I am not surprised by a nasty oil leak. The PVC system is clean (new check valve also). I was reading that camshaft seals are one other common source of oil leaks on the 2.8. This link shows them:

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_o...haftsealsplugs

Where can I buy just the camshaft seals I need? What is the difficulty? Motor is bolted to trans, but everything else is off the front of the car at present. I also need to do the TB and WP (already have parts and tools for this). Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

The most common leak point is the cam adjuster seals. Cam seals can leak, but no where near as often or as profusely as cam adjuster seals.

Why can't you just buy the cam adjuster seals (2), valve cover gaskets (2), cam plugs(2) and cam seals (4) from Blau? Very easy job with the engine out of the car and the timing belt removed.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
The most common leak point is the cam adjuster seals. Cam seals can leak, but no where near as often or as profusely as cam adjuster seals.

Why can't you just buy the cam adjuster seals (2), valve cover gaskets (2), cam plugs(2) and cam seals (4) from Blau? Very easy job with the engine out of the car and the timing belt removed.
I can do them all and rent the cam adjuster tool.

On the front cam seals, do i need any special tools to pull the old ones out and put the new ones in? I assume I have to remove the cam sprockets? Any write ups on that part? I found the one that describes the cam adjustment seals, but not the front cam seals. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Guru

You have to break the sprockets free anyway to set the timing when you do the belt.

To do the cam seals and plugs, I like to remove the valve cover (off anyway for the cam adjuster seals) and remove the cam caps that capture the seals. Once the caps are off, you can remove and install the seals and caps with your fingers.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

You have to break the sprockets free anyway to set the timing when you do the belt.

To do the cam seals and plugs, I like to remove the valve cover (off anyway for the cam adjuster seals) and remove the cam caps that capture the seals. Once the caps are off, you can remove and install the seals and caps with your fingers.
Thanks, Ok two questions from that:

1.) Do i need a tool to break the cam sprockets free?

2.) So i do not need to rent the cam adjuster seal tool?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by OzzyLime
Thanks, Ok two questions from that:

1.) Do i need a tool to break the cam sprockets free?

2.) So i do not need to rent the cam adjuster seal tool?

1. A puller is nice, but I just loosen the bolt a few turns and shock it with a hammer. The sprocket pops right off.

2. Don't confuse cam seals and cam adjuster seals. If you loosen the caps, you can swap the cam seals and plugs with no tools, but you always need the tool to compress the cam adjuster to change the seal and gasket.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Kit and tool rental ordered, thanks. As the motor is used, is there anything else I can do from a PM standpoint? On these 2.8's are there other failure points i should look out for?

Aside from this I have all idlers, tb, water pump.

Motor sat with coolant lines open for a bit, should I flush with anything before connecting all the coolant system hoses back up? The fact that the water pump runs with the TB concerns me a little. Water pump has an issue and poof, TB jump... another blown motor.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by OzzyLime
Water pump has an issue and poof, TB jump... another blown motor.
...or, more likely, a few bent valves. BTDT on cars I have bought with "blown" motors and fixed inexpensively. ;-)
Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

...or, more likely, a few bent valves. BTDT on cars I have bought with "blown" motors and fixed inexpensively. ;-)
I wish I had gotten that luck. Had ventilated pistons in mine :P
Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Guru

BTDT there too, unfortunately. Had one that went on the highway and the gorilla flogged it until the piston was completely gone. I pulled the head and saw a wrist pin and a connecting rod.

Quick Reply: 2.8 Camshaft seals? Source?