A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 Just replaced motor, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an update with more pictures and details. Hopefully I will be exposed for the Audi noob I am and have missed something simple but important.

Below are three pictures.

One shows the motor from the top and the main vacuum area. It looks correct to me, when compared to the vacuum diagram I found under the hood.

One shows the front of the motor. If you look to the right of the crank pulley there is something screwed into the front of the block like a sensor without a plug. Forgive my terminology but it looks like a nipple/spark plug. What is this? Surely this must be important.

One shows the drivers side fender area and a vacuum line that I think goes to the vacuum reservoir(although I cannot see it as the line goes back into the fenderwell. Is this indeed the reservoir?

Thanks to all those involved.
Attached Images    
Old 04-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyLime

One shows the motor from the top and the main vacuum area. It looks correct to me, when compared to the vacuum diagram I found under the hood.
Isn't there a vacuum line missing in that pic? Like one of the T's has no line on it? I think it goes to the vacumm res...?

One shows the front of the motor. If you look to the right of the crank pulley there is something screwed into the front of the block like a sensor without a plug. Forgive my terminology but it looks like a nipple/spark plug. What is this? Surely this must be important.
Oil temp sensor.

One shows the drivers side fender area and a vacuum line that I think goes to the vacuum reservoir(although I cannot see it as the line goes back into the fenderwell. Is this indeed the reservoir?
Yes. Line should route behind the bank two cam sprocket then along the bank tow fuel rail to the vac solenoid area.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Isn't there a vacuum line missing in that pic? Like one of the T's has no line on it? I think it goes to the vacumm res...?

Oil temp sensor.

Yes. Line should route behind the bank two cam sprocket then along the bank tow fuel rail to the vac solenoid area.
Yes, the missing one goes to the vacuum resivoir (which you confirmed location thanks). I will connect those two together.

As for the oil temp sensor, what do you call the piece that turns the nipple looking sensor into a plug I can connect the harness to.

Thanks again, I am trying to convey all of this mess in text and pictures as best I can and appreciate all the help from everyone.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Guru

The wire end slides right onto the end of the sensor...from the side. Nothing fancy. The wire is probably floating around somewhere under the AC compressor near the oil pressure switch.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

The wire end slides right onto the end of the sensor...from the side. Nothing fancy. The wire is probably floating around somewhere under the AC compressor near the oil pressure switch.
Thanks again. Plugged it in. Fixed the broken breather hose, connected the vacuum reservoir. Now it won't start, it acts like it wants to but it doesn't.

From reading many posts the two sensors that might be the cause now are the cam and crank sensors correct?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Guru

Is the coolant temp sensor new? If not, change it.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is the coolant temp sensor new? If not, change it.
No it is factory old. I checked on Alldata, is it this sensor?

"Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor -G62-"

Coolant Temperature Sensor/Switch (For Computer)

Coolant Temp Sensor

Right

Contact dealer for most current part and price information.

Order By Description.
078919529F $322.08 icon_note_blank.gif Notes

Left

Contact dealer for most current part and price information.

Order By Description.
078919529G $318.35 icon_note_blank.gif Notes

PS Why is a temp sensor so expensive? I also saw a temp sensor in the lower radiator hose, is this a 3rd temp sensor for the cooling system?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just checked those two part numbers and it looks like they are exhaust temp sensors??? Is Alldata wrong on the ECT part number?

Edit: I found the correct part and its 20.00 shipped: 059919501A

Is there a way to test the current sensor to verify it is bad or is it just common for them to fail?

Last edited by OzzyLime; 04-12-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just checked those two part numbers and it looks like they are exhaust temp sensors??? Is Alldata wrong on the ECT part number?

Edit: I found the correct part and its 20.00 shipped: 059919501A

Is there a way to test the current sensor to verify it is bad or is it just common for them to fail?
Wow. $300 would have to be the EGT sensors, even the Audi coolant temp sensor is only $100. I seem to remember a place in the vagcom software that allowed you to see the input voltage from the temp sensor but they don't always throw codes when they fail so they're hard to diagnose. Considering the cost and relative ease of replacement it is commonly recommended to replace it if you're unsure of its age or functionality. Especially helpful when the motor isn't running smooth as the ECU will adjust the fuel mixture depending on what temp it 'thinks' the motor is running at.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:06 AM
Tech Guru

STFA.

Quick Reply: 2.8 Just replaced motor, need some help