A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 Just replaced motor, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Two minutes straight is more than enough. Something is wrong.
No codes at all? Right firing order?
Just the oil and HVAC listed here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=25

Order is correct, triple verified. It ran with this firing order (badly) just 3 days ago.

EDIT: Biggest change since then was having the front end off (I checked, all sensors plugged in) and I fixed the crankcase ventilation with a bit of hose and replaced all the vacuum lines.
Attached Images  

Last edited by OzzyLime; 04-18-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you done the throttle body alignment yet?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
Have you done the throttle body alignment yet?
Is that were you reset the ECU and let it sit with the ignition on for 3 minutes? If not, please let me know the procedure. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did this a few times just now, following the guide on the vag-com website. No improvement unfortunately.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Watching VAG-COM while cranking I noticed these values, do they seem correct?

timing: 13.5 btdc
3.06ms inj on time
load 69%
200 rpm

I verified there is spark on all 6 spark plugs, and aside from being wet with gas they all look ok. I tried holding down the gas pedal as well and it sounds close to starting but alas no success.

Is the timing off? If so, is it the timing belt or a bad outside air temp guage?

Last edited by OzzyLime; 04-19-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyLime
Is that were you reset the ECU and let it sit with the ignition on for 3 minutes? If not, please let me know the procedure. Thanks.
Doesn't take 3 minutes. Did the the result say throttle adaptation OK?
What were the final values?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
Doesn't take 3 minutes. Did the the result say throttle adaptation OK?
What were the final values?
Peter,

I believe it said "tb_ok" or something similar when it finished after 10 seconds or so. I could hear it adjusting. I used these instructions:

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 060
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
[Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

It looks like I have exhausted most of my ideas. This thread is growing and i appreciate all the help.

I suppose I will replace the oil sensor and if that does no good, take everything apart again including the valve covers and make sure the timing is good. it looked dead on last time, maybe it is a 1/2 tooth off and hence this issue (however most people say even a tooth off it should start).

Have spark, fuel, air.... this is no longer making much sense. Maybe the starter is spinning the crank the wrong way lol.

Any ideas?

Last edited by OzzyLime; 04-20-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well, the car should run with the Vac lines onhooked, I believe it will run with the MAF unplugged as well. I don't think the oil sensors will keep it from running either. I WOULD do a compression test before anything else and confirm. you need compression, spark and fuel, you have fuel, and supposedly spark. But also try a good fresh battery, remove one from another car if you can. I have seen cars not start do to a weak battery, it can pump fuel but not give enough spark to fire, just foul plugs. so confirm a good battery and compression. also try with the MAF unhooked (but if this is bad should throw a code)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jschick
well, the car should run with the Vac lines onhooked, I believe it will run with the MAF unplugged as well. I don't think the oil sensors will keep it from running either. I WOULD do a compression test before anything else and confirm. you need compression, spark and fuel, you have fuel, and supposedly spark. But also try a good fresh battery, remove one from another car if you can. I have seen cars not start do to a weak battery, it can pump fuel but not give enough spark to fire, just foul plugs. so confirm a good battery and compression. also try with the MAF unhooked (but if this is bad should throw a code)
Will have to wait until tomorrow to check compression. Both heads were machined at a reputable shop.. if it was a tooth off would that cause bad compression or too far advanced timing?

I got my big truck and jumped it, it spins faster and sounds like it almost catches... then doesnt.

How about a bad external air temp sensor? Could it cause far too rich a condition to start? I smell gas after cranking away.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: 2.8 Just replaced motor, need some help