A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 timing help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2.8 timing help

I am looking for some one who can set the timing on my 2.8 in maryland (21207) with experience. Changed timing tentioner and not to sure if the timing is still where it should be. Any hel is use full. Any questions please ask.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a few searches you will find a lot of info on this - more than enough to set the timing correctly. You set the timing between the cams by putting the correct number of chain link rollers between the timing marks on the sprockets. The correct number is slightly different for each side of the engine. It will depend on exactly how you count them but most people seem to count it as 16 rollers for the passenger side and 15 or 15 1/2 for the driver's side. Lots of people have posted photos and diagrams that will explain everything. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I cant find it on this page. if you can help i would apreciate it alot.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by savage2
I cant find it on this page. if you can help i would apreciate it alot.
Here's a thread that has some discussion on it, and some links to other places.

Basically it should be as close to 16 and 15 as you can get it for the passenger and driver sides respectively. It might look a little off depending on how you eyeball it - but since 1 tooth is the minimum you can change it by, you just have to get it as close as possible to those numbers, and you'll be correct. Does that make sense? Use the timing marks on the sprockets to do the count.

Go ahead and read that thread - it should help but it should also give you ideas for what to search for. Sometimes the search feature can be frustrating because of the many different names people have for things - just now I couldn't find anything for you but I know I have found many threads on this before. Use google if you have no luck here - most of the good links will take you back here anyway
Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just re-read your first post and realized that I assumed you were talking about the chain tensioner. Don't know why I assumed that. Please clarify if you are talking about the chain tensioner or the belt tensioner!

Sorry for jumping the gun.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Chain for the cams
Old 08-24-2012, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

ok cool that's what I had assumed. Let us know if any of the above info helps.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am not sure that i get it. i am looking to do the timing from crank case to cam to tentioner chain. this way i will not have any isuse. any help
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by savage2
I am not sure that i get it. i am looking to do the timing from crank case to cam to tentioner chain. this way i will not have any isuse. any help
I think you will have to explain what the problem is in more detail.

If you changed the cam chain tensioner, you will have to set the timing by counting the chain link rollers.

Maybe if you describe exactly what you have done so far and what is stopping you from going any further - then we could give more detailed help.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not trying to be funny. but i asking for the timing for the head ( the timing chains to the head. i am also asking how do i time the head with the crank shaft corectly

Quick Reply: 2.8 timing help