A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 V6 stumbling and missing

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

nort sure atr this point but i owuld certainy do the basics if they are due, filters plugs etc.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx580
Okay, I finally had a chance to check for sparking tonight.

The car had been sitting for a couple days. When I went out and started it up, it ran fine. I took it for a drive to warm it up. It ran fine for the first minute or two, then slowly began to get worse and worse. After about 7-8 minutes I brought it back to the house, parked it and popped the hood.

Here's a strange thing. I put the parking brake on and put the car in Reverse to put the engine under load and induce the misfire. Initially, it was "stumbling", but I didn't hear any electrical clicking. I also didn't see any obvious sparks under the hood. After letting it run a while longer, it finally started making a clicking noise (still coming from the left side of the engine). I pulled up the plastic cover on the cylinder bank, and sure enough, there was a big fat spark coming out of the spark plug wire every time the engine misfired. It was right at the point that the wire makes a 90 degree turn into the engine block.

Now at least I know one thing to try. It bothers me that I didn't hear the sparking noise during the initial stumbling. Could it be that there is another factor at play? I guess all I know to do is replace that plug wire and see what happens. Don't even want to know what that's going to cost...

edit: I forgot to mention that I did see some faint, flickering sparks around the ignition coil. Is this normal, or could that be a symptom of a malfunctioning coil?
A lot of times, you won't get a short to ground from a plug wire unless there is a lot of moisture in the air. The other thing that happens, (I'm theorizing here) is that as the engine heats up and the fuel injection leans out the mixture, it gets a little bit harder for the spark to jump the gap on the spark plug tip. Therefore, if it is easier to jump to ground external to the cylinder, it will. (compression within the cylinder also wants to snuff the spark) The reason you didn't hear it at first is probably immaterial; the plug wire could rest right against the valve cover when cold and as it heats from engine warmth, it might twist just enough to give you a gap to jump and hear. I agree that there should be no sparks visible anywhere.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hopefully a final update for this thread:

I finally got a chance to install a new set of park plug wires yesterday. I put a little dielectric grease around the bottom of the boot like someone suggested. That seems to have done the trick. I drove it for around 30 minutes yesterday and about 20 minutes to work this morning, and it seems to be back to normal.

I know this isn't going to be the solution to all stumbling/hesitation problems with these engines, but it is certainly one of the things to consider if you're having this problem.

Quick question: are there codes that can only be cleared by a VAGCom? I still have a flashing coolant warning on my cluster display even after I cleared the codes with the universal code reader at AutoZone. The sensor seems to be functioning fine, so I don't think there is actually a problem. If someone can let me know, that'd be great.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here we go again.

After a fall and winter of running perfectly fine, my car is exhibiting the same symptoms as before: random missing and stumbling under load. It started a month or so ago with just once or twice a day. Now it's doing it regularly. If I delicately apply the throttle, it sometimes allows it to accelerate smoothly. Sometimes it does it not matter how careful I am.

Yesterday, the car finally threw a CEL. I went and had the codes pulled with a generic code reader, and they are as follows:

P1338 - Manufacturer control ignition system or misfire

P0441 - EVAP Emmission control system purge flow fault

It has not yet degraded to the point of stumbling at idle, but I'm sure it's well on its way if I don't figure out what's going on. It seemed to get a lot worse when we had a warm spell a few days ago. Luckily we're back in the 40's.

I just replaced the spark plug wires and plugs 6-7 months ago (as I documented in this thread), so I really can't believe that's the problem. However, that seemed to fix it last summer. This is really disappointing and frustrating. Any new ideas before I go insane?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

get a vag com so we get the REAL code not the crap autozone scanner...

P1338 - Manufacturer control ignition system or misfire

means nothing, we need to know exactly whats happening which ou need a vag com to do, this is too generic.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Think the dealer would pull codes for free?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

not mine... 250 diagnostics fee, gotta be someone local with a vagcom, check the regionals also look at vwvortex anf find a volkswagen guy with one