A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 A6 2.7T quattro took a dump, any idea what i can get for parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok here are the big ticket items that need to be fixed:

Engine Crank case breather $104
Camshaft Adjuster left and right $710 x2
Timing belt $77
Timing belt tension pulley $120
Water Pump $108
Valve cover gasket left and right $82 x2
Thermostat $54

Then they included common things that need to be replaced like front and rear break pads, 2 rotors, various filters, spark plugs and so on and so forth.

What does everyone think?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Interesting that new cams aren't on this list??

Is this a dealer or an independent?

Unusual that both camshaft adjusters need replacement....I'd question that and check the codes.

Cam wear can usually be seen by inspection with the cam covers off....they should SHOW you the worn cam lobes if that's the case.

The rest of it sounds like normal maintenance...if TB replacement is due it should be done.

Your brake pads/rotors don't need to be replaced unless they're squealing/metal on metal or the brake pad light is lit on the dash LCD display.

It looks like they're trying to bring the car up to well-maintained condition as well as fix what caused your car to 'take a dump.' I'd get them to explain why TB, etc. needs to be done; ask whether replacing the crankcase breather is all that really needs to be done and why..i.e., is it plugged with ice/oil mist condensate; why not just clean it, etc.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is a dealer, but the mechanic and shop manager are good friends with my dad, theyve never steered me wrong in the past. Actually one of them tried to tell me not to buy the car when i bought it 2 1/2" years ago HA!

A friend of my father-in-law is going to take a second look at it.

But anyway the plan right now is to pay it off with the tax return, and either sell as is or part it out.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you dont need you cam adjuster replaced, i dont care if your dad is having a gay affair with these guys, unless thye are showing you the damage to the cam (which is VERY easy for them to do) they are taking you for a ride on the money rollercoaster.

oil issue is from blocked pcv system.

TB should be done

cam adjusters dont need to be replaced, and if they do or the cams are THAT BADLY WORN, they should also be replacing the cams, which makes me think they are full of it.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by gene parmesan
What does everyone think?
I think this is wacky. Both cam adjusters fail at the same time on a 2.7? It's a rare event to see one fail. What codes is it throwing?

I'd do a full timing belt service with all associated seals. I'd also replace the breather, suction pump and green check valve.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
you dont need you cam adjuster replaced, i dont care if your dad is having a gay affair with these guys,
Actually it looks like that might be what they want. It does look like they are trying to screw him.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It will be getting looked at by a retired Audi/VW mechanic, I dont know when but itll happen, most likely in the spring.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thank god! i hate to see an audi die, so a dealer can line their pockets, wish they would see the long term brand damage they are doing!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same thing happened to my car last night

I'm currently waiting to hear from the shop. I'm hoping it's just a frozen pcv system, but we'll see. We had a high of 4 yesterday, that's the coldest it's been since I've owned the car.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just let it thaw in a garage if possible. If not start it up and then crack open the oil cap should hear a rush of air and then the problem should be solved.

Quick Reply: 2000 A6 2.7T quattro took a dump, any idea what i can get for parts?