A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 A6 2.7t starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 A6 2.7t starting problem

I came out to start my car about 2 hours after driving it, and it wouldn't start. Just kept cranking over. Sounded to me like it's not getting any fuel. I let it sit for a day, tried again and it started right up! I let it run for 10 minutes or so, turned it off, and it started right back up again. So I started to drive home, and it just died on me. I pulled over, and it started up and immediately died. I waited a bit, and it started again, but died. I had it towed home, and after running diags, there are no codes thrown. The fuel pump seems fine, replaced filter. I then replaced the 2 ignition modules on the top of the airbox, thinking these might have something to do with it since if they go bad, there is no code related to them, however the same problem is happening. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by justinrp97
I came out to start my car about 2 hours after driving it, and it wouldn't start. Just kept cranking over. Sounded to me like it's not getting any fuel. I let it sit for a day, tried again and it started right up! I let it run for 10 minutes or so, turned it off, and it started right back up again. So I started to drive home, and it just died on me. I pulled over, and it started up and immediately died. I waited a bit, and it started again, but died. I had it towed home, and after running diags, there are no codes thrown. The fuel pump seems fine, replaced filter. I then replaced the 2 ignition modules on the top of the airbox, thinking these might have something to do with it since if they go bad, there is no code related to them, however the same problem is happening. Does anyone have any ideas?
When was the last time you replaced your ignition switch? Also, I have had a fuel pumps crap out on me before that would work perfectly one day, dead the next, then work again, and then nevermore.
So my 2 cents, Check ignition switch, fuel pump, and fuel pump relay.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I then replaced the 2 ignition modules on the top of the airbox, thinking these might have something to do with it since if they go bad, there is no code related to them
This is false. Bad POS units throw misfire codes.

I agree Dano that it sounds like a bad fuel pump.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

Have you ever changed your fuel filter? You might also have got a bad batch of gas that clogged the fuel filter. Change the fuel filter every 60K miles. When you see the fuel filter it's not very big and a whole lot of fuel gets routed through it on the loop to the fuel injectors and back to the tank.

Happened to my exroommate's fuel injected van motor while driving through Alabama/Mississippi.
Had to get towed to a station, dumped the gas/let the water go to bottom, skim the top, new fuel filter with a can/bottle of HEET....this in the middle of summer! Alcohol/HEET probably doesn't do vapor lock issues any good, but better than water!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Actually after reading though some other threads sounds like it might be the coolant temp sensor. I'll be giving that a try.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

Actually after reading though some other threads sounds like it might be the coolant temp sensor. I'll be giving that a try.
Ow..sorry, missed the fuel filter replacement.
Could well be CTS if it tells the engine ECU the engine is cold when it's actually warm/hot and overfuels the engine/floods it. One way to check the next time it doesn't start is to pull one spark plug and see if it's wet.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Tech Guru

A coolant temp sensor is not going to cause a car to die on the road.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have not replaced the fuel pump, but if the pump was bad, or going bad wouldn't it throw a code?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not replaced the fuel pump, but if the pump was bad, or going bad wouldn't it throw a code?
No. Fuel pump doesn't throw codes.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Tech Guru

Sometimes you'll get a lean code, but not always.