A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 A6 4.2 Quattro Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 A6 4.2 Quattro Purchase Advice

Hi,

I am seriously looking to pick up an Audi as I'm done with North American cars. I was looking at the A6 4.2 Quattro and was wondering what I should be specifically asking about them when reviewing them? I have one I'm going to look at a 2000 with 170,000km's on it and I know one of the first questions should be asking is when the timing belt and water pump replacement was done. What other questions would should I be asking about this model?

Thanks in advance.

Kennedy
Old 04-11-2009, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I remember that this model had a consistent problem with the brake rotors. Continuous problem with warping. It was widespread enough, that Audi USA issued vouchers under warranty, so that owners could go out and purchase after-market replacement rotors, because the factory had nothing readily available to fix the problem. Rotors, at some point, have to be replaced, anyway (they were shot on my Avant at 73K miles). But you probably want to check, if you can, what has done withe car regarding its brakes and rotors over time.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Owned a 00 4.2 for 3 years and I still miss that car..at 170k km there is

no way the rotors are oem so that won't be an issue. Even if the car did need rotors you probably would not put oem's on anyways. I never had an issue with my rotors warping if it's any help.
Originally Posted by TraderAlex
I remember that this model had a consistent problem with the brake rotors. Continuous problem with warping. It was widespread enough, that Audi USA issued vouchers under warranty, so that owners could go out and purchase after-market replacement rotors, because the factory had nothing readily available to fix the problem. Rotors, at some point, have to be replaced, anyway (they were shot on my Avant at 73K miles). But you probably want to check, if you can, what has done withe car regarding its brakes and rotors over time.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks TraderAlex and bac2h for the feedback. Bac3h, you mentioned you owned one, any complaints at all? Did you have any engine problems such as blown head gaskets, considering the engine is all cast aluminum? Also, are wheel bearings an issue? I've read many articles and boards such as this and they are saying wheel bearing s are a common problem...any truth to this? I also was wondering total life expectancy on a vehicle like this...300K?

The more I read up on this vehicle the more excited I am getting on purchasing one. In comparison tests they mention the same year BMW 540i being a better vehicle...thoughts on this?

Kennedy
Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice picture BTW...!
Old 04-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Fear the Miata!

never had any issues with brake rotors....
Old 04-13-2009, 02:33 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The 00 4.2 A6 was the first Audi I had ever owned and I had heard

ALL the horror stories of maintenance and repairs. Funny thing is most of these stories come from people who don't own and never owned an Audi. I really did not find the upkeep on the car that bad. Will it cost you more and need more repairs and maintenance than a Honda or Toyota? Absolutely yes. But you need to pay a little premium to drive a car that ignites your passion. The most frustrating problem I had was chasing an EVAP problem that turned out to be the charcoal overflow cannister. Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Thanks TraderAlex and bac2h for the feedback. Bac3h, you mentioned you owned one, any complaints at all? Did you have any engine problems such as blown head gaskets, considering the engine is all cast aluminum? Also, are wheel bearings an issue? I've read many articles and boards such as this and they are saying wheel bearing s are a common problem...any truth to this? I also was wondering total life expectancy on a vehicle like this...300K?

The more I read up on this vehicle the more excited I am getting on purchasing one. In comparison tests they mention the same year BMW 540i being a better vehicle...thoughts on this?

Kennedy
Old 04-13-2009, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks bac2h, it does 100%. And yes, I am totally prepared to do the proper maintenance on it and expect the higher costs to do this. I have found an ex Audi/VW mechanic locally who does repairs on his own at very reasonable rates so I am set up that way, now just looking for the right vehicle. I found a 2001 S4 but I am nervous on the turbo complaints I have been reading about on the 2.7T engine. My preference is the V8 as it seems to be a more reliable engine. Any truth to this?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:15 AM
Fear the Miata!

the 4.2 is the way to go....the 2.7t and others have no fender flares....period
Old 04-13-2009, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also owned a 2000 4.2 for 4 years purchased 1st one at my dealer. Only problems it had was @ 45K+ replaced 2,O2 downstream sensors and yes I had brake rotors replaced at every service by Audi service, they would do it as a matter of course. Car was solid. I recently purchased a 02 4.2 Sport with 39K on the odometer , the 02' was upgraded in many, many areas and it shows, much quieter and steering feeling is better without removal of Relay 60X. Good luck with your search.

Quick Reply: 2000 A6 4.2 Quattro Purchase Advice