A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 A6 4.2L Performance upgrades? chip, air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 A6 4.2L Performance upgrades? chip, air intake

I just picked up a 2000 a6 4.2 and am looking for some minor performance upgrades to start with. air intake and/or chip and exhaust. any suggestions???
The following users liked this post:
ddunlap92 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-07-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome/Congrats

I remain a purist, nothing but window tint on mine. But the list contains a lot of folks who have gone over the available performance upgrades for the 4.2. Air/chip/exhaust and tip mods tend to be a bit flat for the money, but suspension and sway bar mods seem to be a better "performance" scenario for the money.

Check out the search function for this forum, you will get real world installation and reviews of just about everything you can do to the 4.2. Good luck and happy trails.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can start here....

I have a 2001 4.2, and I keep a list of links that is tilted toward the 4.2 owner (we call it a FAQ, but it isn't exactly in that format). See <A HREF="http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html">A6 FAQ</A>.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great car! ... I bought one last summer......

and have made almost every modification I can think of except the modified tip chip. I will do that mod as soon as I save up some cash. I started with changing out the stock intake filter to an ITG racing type. Changed the stock sway bars to H-Sport bars and removed the stock springs/shocks in favor of Eibach springs with Koni dampers. The stock ride was too much like a Lincoln Continental and sat way too high for my taste. Removed the Servotronic steering relay so I could feel the road. My latest mod was to outfit a RS6 Sport Exhaust to the A6 in order to release more horsepower and let people know it's not an ordinary A6 with a V6! Check out my earlier post w/pics on 12-31-2003.

Good luck with the mods!
Old 01-07-2004, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Chipping gets marginal increase due to normal aspiration

Concentrate on handling - my two cents...
Old 01-07-2004, 04:03 PM

Default I have a 4.2 with GIAC tip and engine chips and H&R coilovers...

Without a doubt, H&amp;R coilovers rock and offer a vastly improved suspension form the stock sport suspension. The tip chip is great if you want to shorten the shift times, but, I find myself leaving the car in S most of the time. Despite the fact that the engine chip is not going to provide you with noticeable hp or torque gains, I actually think it is very important in that it really improves throttle repsonse. My biggest complaint about the 4.2 was that there was too much lag between the time I step on the gas and the engine actually responds to the throttle input. I almost found it dangerous. The throttle response is far more immediate now and well worth the cost of the egnine chip.

The only disclaimer I have is that I installed the engine chip and tip chip at the same time. Garrett (of GIAC) was pretty honest with me and told me that the engine chip wouldn't do much for the power, but, would improve the throttle response. I am assuming that it is the engine chip (and not the tip chip) that has improved the throttle repsonse. I also have to say that I am a pretty aggressive driver so am particularly sensitive to throttle repsone. That might not be a huge issue for you.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good point, throttle response is a big deal. I'd buy it for that.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default Re: I have a 4.2 with GIAC tip and engine chips and H&R coilovers...

Mr Pobst when driving my car with the ECU and Tip chip, said, the throttle was very responsive or even touchy. FOr what thats worth. Bottom line without a power increase, the feel it gives makes the car more enjoyable. this was on a 2.7T.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey Sleestack, how's it going??? How's that MB coming along???
Old 01-08-2004, 08:56 AM

Default We ended up with a long delay becuse we were waiting

for Carillo to make some custom rods. Carillo has a 4 -6 month lead time for custom rods. Nevertheless, parts are all in, the engine has been balanced and is going through the final steps of assembly this week. Should be about another 5 weeks before the entire car is finished.

Quick Reply: 2000 A6 4.2L Performance upgrades? chip, air intake