A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 Audi A6 Trunk Release button won't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Audi A6 Trunk Release button won't work

Hi all, have a question on the trunk release mechanism. Trolled thru the searches but got lost after 6 pages. Sorry new Audi owner.

The trunk release button on the pillar next to the driver seat is not opening the trunk. The trunk does open with a key when I turn it to the left then pull on the latch on the outside of the trunk. I can hear the motor in the release when I turn the key so it sounds like the motor is working.

Is there another part of mechanism that needs to be looked at? Also, read that there is a "Valet Mode" on these cars which may be on and I don't know where to access it (no owners manual). Can someone provide some info on how to access it?

Thanks,
Ather
Old 10-18-2013, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ather
Hi all, have a question on the trunk release mechanism. Trolled thru the searches but got lost after 6 pages. Sorry new Audi owner.

The trunk release button on the pillar next to the driver seat is not opening the trunk. The trunk does open with a key when I turn it to the left then pull on the latch on the outside of the trunk. I can hear the motor in the release when I turn the key so it sounds like the motor is working.

Is there another part of mechanism that needs to be looked at? Also, read that there is a "Valet Mode" on these cars which may be on and I don't know where to access it (no owners manual). Can someone provide some info on how to access it?

Thanks,
Ather
Take the two switches out and reverse them, use the alarm switch...either one will work. The alarm switch (actually a motion sensor defeat) just has a light/led on it. If the other switch operates the trunk, replace the switch.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for the manual on a little shelf under the steering column.

Does the trunk open if you press the trunk button on your remote?

If yes, the problem is with the switch in the door.

If not then try the below:

If your trunk lock is turned a certain way, you will not be able to open it with a button. Try turning the lock at 90 degree angle to figure out a different position that would allow a button to open it.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your replies and apologies for the delay in responding.

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Check for the manual on a little shelf under the steering column.

Does the trunk open if you press the trunk button on your remote?

If yes, the problem is with the switch in the door.

If not then try the below:

If your trunk lock is turned a certain way, you will not be able to open it with a button. Try turning the lock at 90 degree angle to figure out a different position that would allow a button to open it.
I have a new master key and FOB that has not been programmed yet so will have to do that first to try it.

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Take the two switches out and reverse them, use the alarm switch...either one will work. The alarm switch (actually a motion sensor defeat) just has a light/led on it. If the other switch operates the trunk, replace the switch.
The Alarm switch is broken on this car but will get another switch for it. Just trying to determine if I need to get 2 switches or keep the existing door one and replaced the trunk motor to fix the issue.

Will try the FOB option first. Thanks again for the replies
Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ather
Thanks for your replies and apologies for the delay in responding.

I have a new master key and FOB that has not been programmed yet so will have to do that first to try it.

The Alarm switch is broken on this car but will get another switch for it. Just trying to determine if I need to get 2 switches or keep the existing door one and replaced the trunk motor to fix the issue.

Will try the FOB option first. Thanks again for the replies
Okay, I programmed the FOB and it releases the trunk but the switch still does not work so I guess I need a new switch. Will shop online for one. Ebay has been my good friend in this rebuild...
Old 10-21-2013, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

could also be the wiring harness that runs to the trunk , that is where my money is.