A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 Ford Taurus standard suspension better than 2001 A6 2.7T with factory sport suspension???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having driven a 1998 Taurus for 3 years before my latest Audi, I disagree.

My company uses Taurus's as company cars so I have also driven later ones. My 2001 2.7T with the non-sport suspension WAY out performs those cars. Adding 17 inch wheels and the sport rear anti-sway bar only make a large difference into a huge difference.

- Tom
Old 01-13-2002, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right. Perceived performance can cloudy many things.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:36 PM

Default Agree!! Agree!! Driven Taurus' for the past 10 years before the A6-->

No comparison to the A6 with Sport Suspension or for that matter the standard suspension. Taurus feels tight when you first start to drive, but you soon realize it only is stiff and doesn't handle well.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have driven over 100 Taurus's (Tauri?)...

I've literally driven over 100 of the blasted things over the last 4 years (rentals) and I couldn't disagree more. It ain't even close. I think the extra weight of the A6 may be fooling you into thinking it doesn't handle as well. The A6 also has a longer wheelbase than the A4/S4 so that would be a factor there.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:47 PM

Default Of course, you're all correct. There is more to suspension and handling than just lean.

But the fact is that on my daily route, the Taurus seems to gives me more confidence around bends and turns...this is my seat of the pants measurement. You'll note that the comparison is over my daily route. I can definitely go faster (subjective issue here, since fast for me could be slow for someone else) in the Taurus around the turns and bends before reaching a threshold of fright (scaring myself or my passengers)... meaning less roll. It is this aspect that I'd like to improve in my 2.7T.

My car, with quattro and ESP, will clearly outperform the Taurus beyond the typical driving conditions I experience daily...I don't even want to start listing! Otherwise I would have settled for a Taurus!! Of course, manufacturers set up their cars for a much, much wider scope.

To prevent the roll in my car I will probably install a larger diameter rear sway bar. I do not want the aftermarket shocks and springs since they lower the car even more ...and we know how frequently the front bumber gets pulled off!!.

I did this on our A4 2.8 Avant and lost a lot of the independence of the rear suspension. So I love the handling and control but when going over kerbing at the entrance to my driveway or shopping mall or offices, the whole back end gets a tremendous bounce (typically one goes over these kerbs at an angle so first one side then the next gets bounced). So these manoeuvers are done slowly...otherwise the kids complain!! One has to compromise.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:58 PM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Exactly! My SHO was stiff as hell, but not a great handling car.
Old 01-13-2002, 06:02 PM

Default Absolutely!!...

Got a Taurus loaner recently (also SE trim)and I have no idea how anybody could drive that thing full time.
The 2002 suspension is great, as Steve alluded to above. There is absolutely no wallowing over bumps, minimal dive under braking and turn-in is immediate. All, of course, with the sport suspension. Can't speak for standard, but I figure anyone who'd complain about these issues would get the sport setup anyway, right?
Old 01-13-2002, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Used to own a Citroen DS 21, which leaned to a degree that ..

people would think that I would overturn. It didn't and it got me to exactly where I pointed it, and quite fast I might add. Not for everybody though.
Old 01-13-2002, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You might want to look into the Citroen Xantia ACTIVA which has a system ...

similar to the one you described. Quite impressive flat around the corners and roundabouts. I spent a weekend in that vehicle 4 years ago, and I assume that it's even better today.

http://activaclub.free.fr/ is an owners club website. Hope that you get to try out you system, and let us in on how it worked out.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving style is critical to how your car will handle. I had to relearn my habits to maximize the

effect of quattro. There is no way a Taurus will outhandle the audi in a series of corners. Its hard to "daily drive" by accelerating thru your corners but with a little practice its fun.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ford Taurus standard suspension better than 2001 A6 2.7T with factory sport suspension???!!!