A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2001 A6 2.7T problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2001 A6 2.7T problems

Yes, I do take the car, once in a while for highway trips. The longest I've been was to Wash DC, about 350 miles/one way.Once a month I do maybe 100 miles on the highway...

I don't think that the NC law requires passing an emission test, I could ask. The car had passed each year the required state inspection.

Also, I have bought some system cleaner, made by Chevron and added to the tank; then I added about 10 gallons of fuel. When I'll be down to 2-3 gallons, I'll repeat the thing. Maybe it will help.

The main problem is that AUDI service is telling me that the car is within parameters. How can I prove them wrong? They can see...but apparently are not willing to do anything...
Old 01-24-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Re: I am getting a TROLL feeling about this

What's that..TROLL??
Old 01-24-2003, 09:34 AM

Default The 5-valve turbo engines are noted for carboning-up if a poor grade of fuel is used or ...

...they are not driven hard (to burn out the carbon). Your dealer is correct, the engine needs to be flushed; there is a TSB out on this, I understand. Dealers have a machine that directly injects combustion-chamber-cleaner directly into the intake, which is much more effective than the stuff you put in your gas tank.

While it is recommended by Audi that owners who experience this problem should have their combustion chambers cleaned, the dealer should pay for this service while the engine is under warranty. Search the boards and you can find others who have had this done.

I don't know about the brakes, but it seems there is a problem there, too. Your dealer should happily fix the problem for free, as dealers do for other owners.

It seems Audi, and other manufacturers too, have a long way to go in providing a decent dealer network. I've heard of similar dealer-service horror stories with just about every make out there, and the other makes I just haven't heard about.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I wouldn't say that, but it is possible that there are two or three sides to the story.

Troll refers to a posting that is made largely to elicit some sort of response. Usually its a provocative statement designed to tweak. Generally there is little or no truth behind it. I don't see it here.

However, there may be user error here:

(1) I think most 2.7T owners have a cold stumble that lasts about a minute, and we use that minute to stumble our way to work or whatever our destination may be. Cars warm up much faster under a load than idling. Maybe the idling did allow carbon deposits to form, leading to the many other problems.

(2) I wouldn't be surprised if the brake problem was just a question of dealing with high (cold) idle speed and the tendency of the car to buck a little when it is in that cold mode.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I just talke to nick on the phone, and he is a very nice guy. I recind my Troll statement
Old 01-24-2003, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-reading this, other than the burning plastic/oil smell, the whole set of symptoms...

... can be the result of the idling of the car. If you do a lot of short trips (and few long ones), combining this with idling, you would be laying down a TON of carbon. This would make the car: (i) run rough, (ii) use more gas, (iii) leave clouds of black smoke when you gun it.

If so, then you should get a carbon flush, but mroe importantly don't idle the car, and make sure it gets warmed up fully.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Re-reading this, other than the burning plastic/oil smell, the whole set of symptoms...

O.K....but the car can get warm ( if not idling) only by being driven. When I drive it, without the warm up, the brakes are not as effective ( unless I press them really hard ) and the car is choking....

I have talked to 2.7t_dallas on the phone and he had suggested a few things. Maybe I'll be able to get AUDI's attention on this thing.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Take that sucker out for a good hard drive...every week or so...

in addition to getting your brakes fixed...they should work instantly. But, clearly none of this is normal or tolerable...

Find a different dealer, but give it to them the night before and get the tech to start it up first thing in the morning to experience what you experience...if it is warm when you bring it to them, then it is harder to figure out what is going on.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Take that sucker out for a good hard drive...every week or so...

Finman,

Define hard drive.

Also, that hard drive is supposed to eliminate the excess of carb ..which will, in return, make the rear bumper even dirtier, would it not?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:42 AM

Default Re: The 5-valve turbo engines are noted for carboning-up if a poor grade of fuel is used or ...

Had anybody had this procedure done on their AUDI and the dealer paid for it( while the car was still in warranty)?
I looked for it on the forums and I could not find it....

Quick Reply: 2001 A6 2.7T problems