A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2001 a6 Brake Pad light and abs after replacing speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

the PO of my car sent away the ABS module for exactly the same thing . .. less than a hundred bucks and my car has been fine for 3 years . Apparently you can take it off and send it away while still driving the car if it is your daily.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default can be driven w/o ABS ECU, but be careful….

Originally Posted by Airbag
the PO of my car sent away the ABS module for exactly the same thing . .. less than a hundred bucks and my car has been fine for 3 years . Apparently you can take it off and send it away while still driving the car if it is your daily.
Yes, the abs ecu interface can/should be wrapped in tinfoil/cable tied or rubber band to keep stuff out, but the car can be driven without abs.

It's possible the car will be unstable under hard braking since the rear brakes will no longer be under abs control. In my experience and judging from rear brake pad wear the rear brakes on abs cars are overpowered/unbalanced such that at light braking most of the braking power is from the rear brakes….

Point is that the rear brakes might lock up the tires before the fronts, thereby causing 'oversteer' or the back end coming around. YMMV, but be careful until you find out how your car acts without abs.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default can be driven w/o ABS ECU but be careful….

Originally Posted by tgre6102
Hello ! I have vag-com and my abs indicator is on because of a front right speed sensor and brake pad light but I just replaced all brake pads with sensors and it's still on ,I was thinking the wire that goes to the sensor wires is bad but what do I do ? Any help is greatly appreciated ! Thank you,Tyler
Yes, the abs ecu interface can/should be wrapped in tinfoil/cable tied or rubber band to keep stuff out, but the car can be driven without abs.

It's possible the car will be unstable under hard braking since the rear brakes will no longer be under abs control. In my experience and judging from rear brake pad wear the rear brakes on abs cars are overpowered/unbalanced such that at light braking most of the braking power is from the rear brakes….

Point is that the rear brakes might lock up the tires before the fronts, thereby causing 'oversteer' or the back end coming around. YMMV, but be careful until you find out how your car acts without abs.