A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 A6 3.0, need to replace Camshaft and Follower. Any pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 A6 3.0, need to replace Camshaft and Follower. Any pointers?

I have a 2002 A6 3.0. Are there any pointers into making this less painful? Do I really need to tear the front end apart? The timing belt and water pump was just done, so I'd rather not do that again.

I pulled the valve cover off, passenger side, #2 cylinder Exhaust side. Lobe and follower are boogered up. I haven't been driving it like this.

Anyhow, is there a way to do this without entirely removing the timing belt?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Search the forums

Originally Posted by Eric Cheatham
I have a 2002 A6 3.0. Are there any pointers into making this less painful? Do I really need to tear the front end apart? The timing belt and water pump was just done, so I'd rather not do that again.

I pulled the valve cover off, passenger side, #2 cylinder Exhaust side. Lobe and follower are boogered up. I haven't been driving it like this.

Anyhow, is there a way to do this without entirely removing the timing belt?

Thanks!
Welcome Eric, the 3.0 is a bear to work on in this area.
Take the time to search out "cam wear" even in the A4 forums and you will see a few even with a description of the repair.

Good luck and be prepared
Old 01-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Subscribing if one day I'll need to do this repair on my 3.0
Old 01-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jcman, thanks.

I've been searching for 2 days with no luck. I see lots of people talk about it, but nobody talked about what needs to be done.

I was just thinking, if I index everything with a market, counting teeth, ribs and marking everything. Can I just slide the cam off, and put the new one on since I've already indexed and marked how it should be installed on the belt?
Old 01-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jcman, thanks.

I've been searching for 2 days with no luck. I see lots of people talk about it, but nobody talked about what needs to be done.

I was just thinking, if I index everything with a marker, counting teeth, ribs and marking everything. Can I just slide the cam off, and put the new one on since I've already indexed and marked how it should be installed on the belt?
Old 01-21-2012, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may be wrong, if the 3.0 is much different than the 2.7T - but I do not believe you can replace the camshaft by itself. You will need to buy a new head/camshaft. The shafts are drilled specifically for the head they are in and cannot be changed.

To replace the head, you will need a bunch of new gaskets, new seals, etc.

You do not have to put the car in service position to replace the head - the bentley typically reads, "Step 1 - remove engine"

But, it can be done in service position if it is like the 2.7T.

Service position isn't so bad from that perspective....
Old 01-21-2012, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Cheatham
Jcman, thanks.

I was just thinking, if I index everything with a marker, counting teeth, ribs and marking everything. Can I just slide the cam off, and put the new one on since I've already indexed and marked how it should be installed on the belt?
Yes, you CAN do this. But I wouldn't. You're doing the work already, and sliding the bar on is almost effortless. Why take a chance?

You'll see plenty of threads on here of people saying how they did it this way, but if those cams flip at all (and they will if you're changing them out) you will be caught with your pants down.

Use the bar and pin.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I can't answer that procedure, but

I find it hard to believe that you can't find any substantial info on this?
Heck I remmeber reading about a member back in the spring of 2011 with the same issue that I even replied too. The search is "cam wear" and its found when removing the v-cover at the time of an TB service to lock the cams.

I'll try to dig it up and link it, I have a 2004 3.0 also and this year the TB is due so I hope when I pull that cover I don't see wear on the cam lobe
too, I knew about this getting into the CPO car with 48K and my answer to that problem was **** 5k oil changes with shell rotella T6 and she's been very quiet.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jseklund
Yes, you CAN do this. But I wouldn't. You're doing the work already, and sliding the bar on is almost effortless. Why take a chance?

You'll see plenty of threads on here of people saying how they did it this way, but if those cams flip at all (and they will if you're changing them out) you will be caught with your pants down.

Use the bar and pin.
Ok, I feel like a ******* now. What is this bar you speak of and how does it work?

Car is parked in driveway in 20 degree weather. I'm just trying to keep from pulling the entire front of the car off etc, etc, etc.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Believe it. I've been around forums since the 90's and know what not to do, and that's make a thread before searching. Honestly, I hate making threads about something that seems very common among Audi's.

So, I'm hanging my head low and asking the question.

Originally Posted by jcman
I find it hard to believe that you can't find any substantial info on this?
Heck I remmeber reading about a member back in the spring of 2011 with the same issue that I even replied too. The search is "cam wear" and its found when removing the v-cover at the time of an TB service to lock the cams.

I'll try to dig it up and link it, I have a 2004 3.0 also and this year the TB is due so I hope when I pull that cover I don't see wear on the cam lobe
too, I knew about this getting into the CPO car with 48K and my answer to that problem was **** 5k oil changes with shell rotella T6 and she's been very quiet.

Quick Reply: 2002 A6 3.0, need to replace Camshaft and Follower. Any pointers?