A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 AUDI A6 2.7t reaching 70k any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Craggy Old Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

0W-40 good stuff.

maybe always check the TBB or install the bipipe.

Let the car run a minute before shutting down as a precaution.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
wow, lost alot of respect points for AUJ today, coke is not the same as sludge and, even after being pointed out, you continue to confuse the two.
Highlight in quotes the post where I said coke and sludge are the same. Instead, I can point you to many posts in which I highlight that petroleum distillate added to dirty oil is better than scheduled maintenance only.

I have lost respect for the education system that passed you for reading comprehension.

Let us see the quote. Parroting a TG's misstatement is exactly what leads to the perpetuation of VERY wrong misinformation here.

Coked, or carbonized oil residue exists in oil passages, of which are in turbos which the water jackets filled with coolant are supposed to help prevent. Sludge is the goop that collects in a motor that is neglected and/or poorly designed for lubrication transport. Petroleum distillate will breakdown both better than low dose snake oil from the lubricant manufacturer.

I can post many quotes highlighting that expression. Respect given or received from anyone is neither here, nor there as related to the topic.

There is only provable claims and logic based evidence that is relevant. Neither has been provided to disparage the particular product known as Seafoam by the Tech Guru Cabal.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:00 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ming 2.7T
0W-40 good stuff.

maybe always check the TBB or install the bipipe.

Let the car run a minute before shutting down as a precaution.
On some forums oil is a religion. M1 0W-40 is considered the consumer industry gold standard. There is a hardcore Audi enthusiast that posted:

"1st off, this is not an experiment, it is an ongoing analysis of oil in a vehicle engine. The data is real, not contrived. A change definitely occurred when M1 was switched out and replaced with Valvoline. Arguing about "statistical significance" is a smoke screen. A change occurred in metal wear. That change in metal wear is well outside the error range of ICP spectroscopy used by Blackstone. Thus, something caused that change in wear. Now, we can argue whether it was the oil, or some other condition in the engine, but quite frankly, there are not that many variables that will cause this large an increase in wear.

Having done these sorts of experiments across many miles in my Audi's and having accumulated nearly 100 samples across 20+ Audi RS4 engines, I'd say that his results are what should be expected. It is a testament to good marketing that consumers become angry when the preeminence of Mobil 1 0W40 is challenged. But it does not change the fact that Mobil 1 sometimes does not perform as well as other oils in some engine applications.

Believe it or not, there really are not that many variables to consider that change the results in an oil analysis. Oil itself being the most important variable. Used Oil analysis gives a snapshot of an engine over the average period of the oil change, or analysis, interval. For what is measured, it is highly accurate.

I'd agree that it would be helpful to reintroduce M1 into the engine again. When/if he does, I fully expect to see fuel dilution go up, and Iron wear specifically increase. Why? Because M1 0w40 does not seal the rings well after it has been run in the engine a few thousand miles. And when confronted with fuel, some of it's anti wear additives are washed off of iron bearing surfaces in the engine, resulting in higher wear."

Here is a link to the debate, if anyone is interested.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...309815&page=29

Just filled my 2.7T with 7 bottles of this; took 7 straight because I run the big Bosch oil filter [#72199] to maximize oil carrying volume.

The theory of using a 5w-40 vs. the Audi recommended 5W-30 is that if the 40W oil heat dilutes, it will still keep a higher weight than 30W under same high heat conditions. Our turbo motors create a lot of heat. Heat is the constant enemy.