A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 Colors - Best Choice for A6 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Colors - Best Choice for A6 4.2

Well, "audiduo" just might become "auditrio". I'm looking seriously at the 2002 A6 4.2 and was walking the dealer lot on Sunday (in IL, dealers must be closed on Sunday, so you can look without getting attacked by sales folks) looking at A6 3.0s and 2.7Ts to get a feel for how the car wears the new colors.

I liked the new Crystal Blue. The pearl effect really comes through when the sun hits it. The new Irish Green looks a bit brighter than last year's green. Ming Blue is a carryover and looks fine, but blue is a bit boring and doesn't stay much cleaner than black. Alpaca Beige just seems boring. It's a rich color, but doesn't convey excitement like the A6 4.2 should. Canvas Beige is also boring. Silver is nice, but then again, my A4 is silver and I always like to get something different when I get a new car. The Brilliant Black A6 showed more dirt than any other color which is why I don't like black in the first place, however, the car looks great in black when clean. They didn't have any Amulet Red cars, but they had a few TTs in Amulet Red and it looks like such a flat tone that I'm not sure how it would look on the 4.2. I still kind of like the Tornado Red my 1986 4000S came in better.

Anyway, what's your opinion on the best color for the 2002 A6 4.2? You can't say Nemo Blue, because you can't get it for 2002!
Old 11-05-2001, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm glad I got a 2001 (Nemo)...also liked Cashmere, Ebony, but no longer offered! Silver, or Ming.
Old 11-05-2001, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't those blue laws suck!!!??? (except in your case, you liked them this time)...

I won't go off on those anti-American, anti-freedom blue-laws...but I could!

Best color...silver...don't go anywhere near Amulet, it sucks. But 2 silver cars...nah.

Black and blue are classic.

Not sure about that new green...too bright for me.

You're right about the Alpaka, great on an allroad, but not a sedan.

I personally hate that new Crystal Blue, but I never liked light blue, so if you like it...go for it...it seems very popular as an early color as the dealer I went to had several in that color.

You got a tough choice there homes...but it sounds like you like the blue, so screw what I say and get what you want...just don't get that freaking ugly Amulet!
Old 11-05-2001, 01:33 PM

Default Did any of the cars have the vanilla interior? It's been changed, according to the brochure.

In previous years, the vanilla leather was also on the doors, but the 02 brochure indicates that the leather on the doors in the vanilla/onyx scheme is onyx, and the leather on the doors in the vanilla/royal blue scheme is blue. My wife and I went lot trolling on Sunday, also, and none of the 02 A6's had a vanilla interior. Then, again, we also didn't see the crystal blue or the irish green exteriors. I liked last year's green....
Old 11-05-2001, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: 2002 Colors - Best Choice for A6 4.2

How about Volcano black or whatever they call it this year? I have BB and you are 200% correct-when clean and polished there is nothing like it!
And, in the same breath- there is nothing like trying to keep it that way.

I would have ordered volcano black (black metalic / with some gray mixed in) should it have been available in 2000.

Do real German cars come in any other colors but black and silver? (Kidding gang, well sort of)
Old 11-05-2001, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Pix at AoA site show door as vanilla too, but . . .

it looks different than my vanilla/royal. More vanilla, looks like vanilla plastic where storage is, rather than royal, as in my interior.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiusa.com/configurator/interior/0,,5_13037____0_39750_13022,00.html#">http://www.audiusa.com/configurator/interior/0,,5_13037____0_39750_13022,00.html#</a</li></ul>
Old 11-05-2001, 02:46 PM

Default Good catch; hadn't noticed that. According to the brochure, the storage bin should be onyx or blue,

not vanilla. Also, the headliner color's different, again according to the brochure; it's grey in the vanilla/onyx interior and mist blue (or some such color) in the vanilla/royal blue. I'm pretty sure that the headliner in all of the vanilla interiors previously has been vanilla.
Old 11-05-2001, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brilliant black or Pearl White. Black is stunning when clean, but hard

to keep looking good for more than a few days. It will also get swirl marks everytime you wash it, you can't do anything about it. So if you like to constantly work on your finish, it's great, otherwise, forget it.

-st
Old 11-05-2001, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Did any of the cars have the vanilla interior? It's been changed, according to the brochure.

Yes. I a Ming Blue A6 2.7T had the vanilla interior and I'm pretty sure I remember the upper portion of the door trim also being in vanilla. Personally, with two kids (one of which should reach driving age while I own this car...yikes!) that I haul around to swim practice, school, soccer, etc., vanilla is scary. I imagine cleaning the leather once a week. I love black interiors. They don't show the wear and tear like lighter colors and lead to greater "inner peace".
Old 11-05-2001, 04:10 PM

Default Dealer got Amulet A6 4.2 in today and.....

I really liked it, but it doesn't have the depth of the metallic or pearl effect paints. Looked good with the beige interior, though.

All 4.2s they have ordered so far for 2002 are Amulet Red, Brilliant Black, or Silver.

I think that might be a hint, but I really don't want to silver cars in a row.

Choices, choices, choices.....

Quick Reply: 2002 Colors - Best Choice for A6 4.2