A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2003 2.7T STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 2.7T STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS

While trying to order my new 2.7T, I noticed the steering wheel controls are not available any longer. What is Audi thinking?! These important controls are still available on the 3.0 and 4.2.
I have been driving cars since 1993 with steering wheel controls and think they are indispensible. Does anyone know the name/names of an Audi insider to speak to, to see if the car can be special ordered with the steering wheel controls?
Old 01-03-2003, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default In the big picture...

The steering wheel controls on my 2001 2.7T are used very little. Two of the six buttons are for the Audi phone, which I don't have and hence, don't use. The other four control the volume and CD track or radio station. The radio controls (on the radio face) are so well located I rarely use any of the steering wheel mounted controls. Also, the cruise control buttons are on the CC stalk, so they aren't on the wheel. Finally, the buttons on my steering wheels don't always work, which is another reason I don't use them often.

In exchange for you not getting these (limited) use buttons, you get the the AudiSport Design wheel, the BEST steering wheel shape, design and ergonomics available on ANY car at ANY price, IMHO. Ok, I'll trade ya if you want. Mine's Melange. :-)

Don't avoid buying a great car just because it doesn't have steering wheel buttons.

Mike
Old 01-03-2003, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ditto! Couldn't agree more. I don't use the controls, and would prefer the 3-spoke wheel.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

if the wheel were not so cool, I would miss the buttons from my 2000
Old 01-03-2003, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't know, but I love the steering controls and use them constantly.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:26 AM

Default Re: In the big picture...

While you're right that the 3 spoke wheel is great, I agree with possibleconvert that the wheel-mounted buttons are a good thing to have. On '02 cars the phone buttons are replaced with ones that change CD's on the changer or surf through the radio presets. Not indespensible by any means, but easier to use without taking your eyes off the road than are those functions on the radio face. I do tend to use tha radio face volume control simply because, as you said, it's so well placed on the dash.

In the end, though, you're absulutely right in that this is a car way too good to pass up simply because of lack of the wheel-mounted buttons.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No big deal...the three spoke wheel is much nicer to steer the car with (primary function?).

I had the 4-spoke wheel and have the 3-spoke. I'll keep the three spoke thank you very much.

The audio controls are okay to have on the wheel, but definitely superfluous, as they're easily reached and operated from the drivers position. The phone controls are similarly silly if you have the Audi phone (and why would you, it's an already outdated phone and a <i><b>total</b></i> rip-off cost wise) just use the voice controls. Better is to get a new blue-tooth phone and an ear-bud speaker/mic that you can use to good effect when outside the car as well.

Don't worry, you won't miss it, particularly if you don't already have it. The three spoker is better!
Old 01-03-2003, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This may turn off the Caddie customers -- and that may be a good thing.

Steering wheel buttons and the like appeal to the "Lounge on Wheels" purchaser. I could live without them if there was a trade-off such as a better wheel. Then again, it could just be more "de-contenting."

I'm hoping there is some higher reason. It would be nice if they were weaning us off the wheel buttons so that we can add handle shift paddles.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default If I had a choice, I like the 2003 wheel, however, if the 2003 were not so

sweet, I would be pissed.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dont consider myself a loungy driver but a MTV generation ADD driver

that needs to change the radio frequently and much easier to do on the wheel without taking my eyes off the road.

Quick Reply: 2003 2.7T STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS