A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2003 A6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 A6 3.0

Hello! I have research this forum and the 30v engine forum to try and find some answers. Have not found anything directly, so here goes.

Car has 127,000 mile on it. Did timing belt, etc at 111k.

Last week I a loud ticking noise started from the passenger side bank. Tried to upload a video, but failed. Will keep trying.

Took it to the local independent, and they thought it was valve train. They did not have the tools to repair a lifter (if that is what it was) so they "passed" on the repair. However, they did change the oil with Amsoil 5-40 Euro and a FVP R1355 filter. They did change the oil 5k ago, same oil but a Delco PF1766 filter. They change the oil before that also, and before that it was at the GM quicklube where it was getting 0-40 Mobile 1.

The nearest dealer is 200 miles. I called them to see if the 3.0 had any specific issues and they same "cam chain tensioner" or bad cams. From my research, I thought the chain tensioner issue was on 2.8 liter models, but dont know. That is why I am here.

I did try a hail mary with a can of "engine restore" thinking if it was a sticky lifte that would help. It seemed to a bit, but perhaps that is my wishful thinking.

So, what I am looking for is... 1) knowing the problems with these motors, what do you suppose I am looking at? 2) is it worth repairing? I looked on KBB and the car has about $5k trade in value.

The dealer quoted $4k for a rebuilt head, if it is came related. I suppose we are looking at a $1000 for a new lifter (labor is high).

Thoughts? Should I just keep driving it? Or is this an issue that will eventuall damage something and cause a engine failure.

Love Audis, but with the dealer so far away I am starting to wonder if this car has hit the point of diminishing return.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!
Chris
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cbrown9064
Hello! I have research this forum and the 30v engine forum to try and find some answers. Have not found anything directly, so here goes.

Car has 127,000 mile on it. Did timing belt, etc at 111k.

Last week I a loud ticking noise started from the passenger side bank. Tried to upload a video, but failed. Will keep trying.

Took it to the local independent, and they thought it was valve train. They did not have the tools to repair a lifter (if that is what it was) so they "passed" on the repair. However, they did change the oil with Amsoil 5-40 Euro and a FVP R1355 filter. They did change the oil 5k ago, same oil but a Delco PF1766 filter. They change the oil before that also, and before that it was at the GM quicklube where it was getting 0-40 Mobile 1.

The nearest dealer is 200 miles. I called them to see if the 3.0 had any specific issues and they same "cam chain tensioner" or bad cams. From my research, I thought the chain tensioner issue was on 2.8 liter models, but dont know. That is why I am here.

I did try a hail mary with a can of "engine restore" thinking if it was a sticky lifte that would help. It seemed to a bit, but perhaps that is my wishful thinking.

So, what I am looking for is... 1) knowing the problems with these motors, what do you suppose I am looking at? 2) is it worth repairing? I looked on KBB and the car has about $5k trade in value.

The dealer quoted $4k for a rebuilt head, if it is came related. I suppose we are looking at a $1000 for a new lifter (labor is high).

Thoughts? Should I just keep driving it? Or is this an issue that will eventuall damage something and cause a engine failure.

Love Audis, but with the dealer so far away I am starting to wonder if this car has hit the point of diminishing return.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!
Chris
Any codes?

Are you doing your own work or do you have to rely on a shop? No way a head rebuild is $4000, that's closer to a rebuilt engine. A few hundred plus parts for a good machine shop to rebuild a head as long as you can do the removal and re-install.

Let's hear what it sounds like if you can. Pull the offending side valve cover and you might be able to see what's up in there.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, get the car scanned. Find a shop that can do it, especially good to find a shop that works on VWs or Audis.

If it's timing-related, likely it will show some codes (if the timing is off).

I wouldn't drive this until you figure out what the problem is. As an example, a failing tensioner can eventually grenade the entire engine.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

bad cams... 3L was notorious for chewing them up.... sorry on your loss
Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

You'd be lucky to get away with a new head.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
You'd be lucky to get away with a new head.
Hi! Why is that?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
bad cams... 3L was notorious for chewing them up.... sorry on your loss
So you think it is a cam issue more than just a lifter? Can you tell me more about the 3.0 being notorious for chewing up cams?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

issues with top end oiling. STFA and you will see.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Video clip

Here is an attempt to upload the video clip of the noise. Pretty short, may try and make a longer one. It does quiet down a bit when the engine warms up. Will try and make one of those also.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
a6wma.zip (1.15 MB, 21 views)
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
issues with top end oiling. STFA and you will see.
What does STFA mean? If it means search the forum, what term do you recommend to search on?

Quick Reply: 2003 A6 3.0