A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2003 A6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Once they get sludged up, you're pretty much done. Unless you've been running synthetic right only, the head is the symptom, not the issue.

:-(
Thanks for the info. We have been running synthetic only since 68k, and the previous owner (2 owner car) had it serviced at the original dealer. So (assumption here) that it has had synthetic its entire life.

It does quiet down a bit once everything is warmed up. Still noticable, but quieter. Does than help to pinpoint anything? Thinking about hauling to the dealer (200 miles) behind my Expedition to have them take a look at it. Would hate to trade it off if it is only a minor repair.

As a side note, today we looked at a 2009 A6 3.0T at a local dealer. They would give us $2k on trade with the engine issue. Thought 2 grand for a car with a noticable tick was pretty good.

Thoughts?
Chris
Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

pull the valve covers and look at the cams, if they are bad, 2k for a trade is sweet
Old 03-16-2013, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
pull the valve covers and look at the cams, if they are bad, 2k for a trade is sweet
Absolutely. All the armchair quarterbacking cannot substitute for a look at the cams. Anyone should be able to r&r cam cover gaskets.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Updated, well, THAT was wrong.

Originally Posted by jcman
Hey Chris your best bet is to pull the valve cover and inspect the exhaust cam lobes before you drive it anymore, and just so you know there are no cam chains on the 3.0.
Excuse the below comment...it's a classic DOHC with one timing chain/belt driving both sets of overhead cams.

Huh? It's a DOHC engine with a timing belt driving one cam on each bank. Just how is the other cam driven if not by a cam chain? Gears? Show me a pic.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 03-16-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Absolutely. All the armchair quarterbacking cannot substitute for a look at the cams. Anyone should be able to r&r cam cover gaskets.
I am pretty mechanically competent, having rebuilt my own small block chevy back in the day, etc... From reading some stuff on vaglinks.com it looks pretty straight forward. Will do today and take some pics of what I find.

Chris
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good luck Chris!

While your at it take a picture of that mystery cam chain
Old 03-16-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cbrown9064
I am pretty mechanically competent, having rebuilt my own small block chevy back in the day, etc... From reading some stuff on vaglinks.com it looks pretty straight forward. Will do today and take some pics of what I find.

Chris
It's certainly as easy as a SBC BUT it pays to have special audi tools!! They're not kidding WRT the cam locks, the crank lock, etc.

Having rebuilt several SBC and BBC heads, replaced wiped cams, etc, it doesn't surprise me that mechanical vice roller camshafts are getting wiped with today's non-synthetic oils and reduced or eliminated ZDDP.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
While your at it take a picture of that mystery cam chain
Roger...
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
It's certainly as easy as a SBC BUT it pays to have special audi tools!! They're not kidding WRT the cam locks, the crank lock, etc.

Having rebuilt several SBC and BBC heads, replaced wiped cams, etc, it doesn't surprise me that mechanical vice roller camshafts are getting wiped with today's non-synthetic oils and reduced or eliminated ZDDP.
Roger...not going to mess with the cams, just take the valve cover off.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Exhaust cam is wiped

Well Gents, The 2003 A6 3.0 is toast. See attached pics. Middle cylinder on passenger side exhaust cam is shot. I could not get a pic of the lifter, but looks like it has a hole worn in the top of it?

Thoughts? The only fix is a rebuilt head right? My understanding is you cannot put a cam and new lifter in it. Or is that not correct?

I was hoping this was not the case. Arrgghhh! Oh, I don't see any cam chains in this pic.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: 2003 A6 3.0