A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2004 s line a6 steering rack replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 s line a6 steering rack replacement

Any input on getting access to the bolt up under the brake booster? I'm replacing the rack on my son’s S line and can’t get access to the last bolt. Under, over or threw the firewall cant get on the bolt. Removing the booster looks to be task in it self. I’ve got a fully functional shop here but this rack replacement has been a pain. Limited access to the banjo bolts and now the last fastener is hidden. Any info out there? I've read the threds here but I'm thinking the C5 turbo has a different rack setup is diferant
Old 04-09-2011, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RTbme
Any input on getting access to the bolt up under the brake booster? I'm replacing the rack on my son’s S line and can’t get access to the last bolt. Under, over or threw the firewall cant get on the bolt. Removing the booster looks to be task in it self. I’ve got a fully functional shop here but this rack replacement has been a pain. Limited access to the banjo bolts and now the last fastener is hidden. Any info out there? I've read the threds here but I'm thinking the C5 turbo has a different rack setup is diferant
If I remember correctly removing the battery and battery tray might help gain access. Maybe this helped only on A4 cars.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh ya the battery and tray are out, if you stand on your head and look under the booster you can see what looks like one end of the bolt or a metal cap covering the the bolts hex head. From under (interior firewall) you can just get site of the bolt shaft coming through the racks mounting tab from top side,(under the booster). very hard to get a look at either end actualy. I havent read that you have to remove the booster to replace the rack but I just dont see this thing comming out.
Thanks for the reply
Old 04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

All right now I see a little clearer. Was a late night in the shop, The bolt does come from the bottom up. That tall metal cap under the booster i spoke of is the female nut welded in place.
Should have gone to bed before 2am. what's that we tell our kids, "Nothing good happens after midnight". The bolt still is a bitch to get at but removing the shields will give some access.
Now to find that new rack...
Old 04-17-2011, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

this aint happening. Cant get on the last bolt behind and under the rack. This is a S Line car, the turbo has taken up the space as far as I can see to get any access to the bolt. I'm about ready to get the plasma tourch out to cut a panel through the firewall. Then tack weld it back in. i simply cant see any way to get at the bolt w/o removing a whole lot of stuff under the hood.
ANYONE!?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There's a rubber plug in the firewall just to the passengers side of the brake booster, pull the plug and you can just get site of the torq bolt. With someone under the car w/the 24" extension and socket you can aid in getting on the bolt. I used a piece of wire w/a hook bent on the end to guild the socket in place.