A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2004- Wont Start After Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I did my LCD swap, did a lot of reading. One of many threads was explaining differences between clusters, also someone mention that no matter with cluster you put, it recognize itself if its auto or standard transmission. Only poroblem is imobilazer. Than you have to recode it. But overall cluster itself is the same for both, so it has to be something else.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
My thoughts are again that one of your connectors are not in enough or a single wire connection is not being made within one of the three 32 pins,
like in the green connector number 18 or 19 being the CAN low speed (powertrain) high+/low -.

Audifirst the member has some very good info on the connectors and the pin-outs right here; https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2798354
Seconded. Recheck that all the connectors are seated and secured properly. I assumed that would have been done. I've done that before, thinking I had them all in with the connector latch down only to find out one of the buggers wasn't seated all the way in.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When you start your car does it start and shut it down ?
Does the little car with a key flashes when start the car ?
Since you have 2004 you have immobilizer 100%
two things could of happen ..

1) your remote control lost communication with vehicle when your cluster was out , you need to re-match the keys but now you will need the SKC security code to re-match them again, and this can not be obtain without buying more tools cables
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...ng-4digit.html

2) I am confuse as two what was repaired but remove the cluster and re-install again pay attention to green , grey and blue connector make sure it is sited properly in , I find a lot of customers do not properly install the green connector an grey connector because wires harness is short and it is hard to see if it fitted in , once you re install, try again to start.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audifirst
When you start your car does it start and shut it down ?
Does the little car with a key flashes when start the car ?
Since you have 2004 you have immobilizer 100%
two things could of happen ..

1) your remote control lost communication with vehicle when your cluster was out , you need to re-match the keys but now you will need the SKC security code to re-match them again, and this can not be obtain without buying more tools cables
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...ng-4digit.html

2) I am confuse as two what was repaired but remove the cluster and re-install again pay attention to green , grey and blue connector make sure it is sited properly in , I find a lot of customers do not properly install the green connector an grey connector because wires harness is short and it is hard to see if it fitted in , once you re install, try again to start.
When I try to start the car it will start up and then start beeping and shuts off. The immobilizer light is NOT on, the only light/readout that looked out of place was the lcd showing that I need to press the clutch pedal to start.

I will re check the connectors and re install the cluster..Would a loose connector cause the car to think it is a manual and not an automatic? It seems like a coding issue to me, but this is all new to me..This all started with a faulty turn signal led that I wanted to repair before I sold the car and now it wont even run..
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
As others have pointed out, something does not add up. If you send the cluster for a bulb replacement or LCD screen replacement, the company should have no business resetting the coding of the cluster. Either you got somebody else's cluster, or somehow the settings got reset.

If the mileage is the same, though, then your settings got reset.

This should not happen. Your only choice now is to recode the cluster to your vehicle specs, and call the repair company and demand your money back, since they screwed it up and you had to pay to recode the damn thing.
I am not sure what they did during the repair, it was sent in for the faulty turn signal led and now I have this issue. The best I can assume is that somehow when they tested or such they reset the coding...or I have a loose connector as others suggest.

My mechanic has said the same as you..the coding was reset and that we could try to re code and hopefully it will accept coding again...if not time for a new cluster or a trip to the audi dealer which is 200 miles away. I am contacting the shop that repaired the cluster to see what they recommend now versus what everyone else has told me.

Thanks for the help we will get this figured of this week!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nmitch
I am not sure what they did during the repair, it was sent in for the faulty turn signal led and now I have this issue. The best I can assume is that somehow when they tested or such they reset the coding...or I have a loose connector as others suggest.

My mechanic has said the same as you..the coding was reset and that we could try to re code and hopefully it will accept coding again...if not time for a new cluster or a trip to the audi dealer which is 200 miles away. I am contacting the shop that repaired the cluster to see what they recommend now versus what everyone else has told me.

Thanks for the help we will get this figured of this week!
was the left or right LED turn signal that they try to repair ?
if they did left , then most likely they damaged the immobilizer chip or improperly they damaged the board, the only way to verify if the immo is in tacked to take apart and look the location and verify , if the immo is damaged then you need replacement cluster with immobilizer ,
but first disconnect the cluster and reinstall again , the green plug carry signal from transmission , makesure it is fully plugged in, otherwise won't see what transmission you have
Try that first and report what you have found
Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audifirst
was the left or right LED turn signal that they try to repair ?
if they did left , then most likely they damaged the immobilizer chip or improperly they damaged the board, the only way to verify if the immo is in tacked to take apart and look the location and verify , if the immo is damaged then you need replacement cluster with immobilizer ,
but first disconnect the cluster and reinstall again , the green plug carry signal from transmission , makesure it is fully plugged in, otherwise won't see what transmission you have
Try that first and report what you have found
It was the left turn signal led that they repaired. I talked to them again this morning and they said in no way did they cause this to happen...

I called and talked to the closest Audi Dealer and they stated that everytime the cluster is removed and re installed that you need to re code the cluster..?

When I get home tonight I will try the re installation and see if that helps.. So if I am understanding this correctly.. if the green plug is not plugged in all the way the cluster will not detect the auto transmission and it will tell the LCD display that I have a manual transmission car and to display accordingly?

Thanks for you help, trying to make my car 100% for the next owner has turned into this nightmare!! Luckily I with your help and my mechanic I will hopefully get this fixed without a new $1000.00 cluster.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nmitch
It was the left turn signal led that they repaired. I talked to them again this morning and they said in no way did they cause this to happen...

I called and talked to the closest Audi Dealer and they stated that everytime the cluster is removed and re installed that you need to re code the cluster..?

When I get home tonight I will try the re installation and see if that helps.. So if I am understanding this correctly.. if the green plug is not plugged in all the way the cluster will not detect the auto transmission and it will tell the LCD display that I have a manual transmission car and to display accordingly?

Thanks for you help, trying to make my car 100% for the next owner has turned into this nightmare!! Luckily I with your help and my mechanic I will hopefully get this fixed without a new $1000.00 cluster.
The immobilizer will not reset unless something drastic is done or powered wrong on bench, accidently damaged the immo chip,
You mention that immobilizer icon does not flash when you power on the vehicle , this let me to think that something went wrong, I know this very well I am in this business, and I have seen share of this mistakes done on these clusters,
but yes Green connector is responsible for transmission detection, if it doesn't sit fully in the connector you might get the issues you getting, try to reconnect again and take time that everything sits fully in. and report the finding.