A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

3.0 Starting Issues Possible Timing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im getting curious.... is there any kind of diagram showing the orientation of the cams when at cyl 3 tdc? If I were to remove the valve covers, how should the cams be sitting? I honestly dont recall seeing any kind of marks on the cams and heads to line things up.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xdewaynex
Im getting curious.... is there any kind of diagram showing the orientation of the cams when at cyl 3 tdc? If I were to remove the valve covers, how should the cams be sitting? I honestly dont recall seeing any kind of marks on the cams and heads to line things up.
I hate to sound like a broken record but this goes back to the TB Service procedure, you must use both horseshoe cam locks and lock the crank with the pin to determine proper orientation of the cams before you set the exhaust cams with the castled socket.

Also can you explain what you did with the cam adjusters in detail?
Old 05-04-2014, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yea the cam locks only slide on one way with ease, with the crank locked in place with the pin. Once everything was locked down at tdc, I loosened up the cam sprocket bolts, then took the cam adjuster tool and rotated the adjuster clockwise until it didnt move anymore, on all 4 cams.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

then took the cam adjuster tool and rotated the adjuster clockwise until it didnt move anymore, on all 4 cams.
All four cams? Only the exhaust cams are to be set, you might want to look at this pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
3.0 Timing Belt.pdf (638.3 KB, 231 views)
Old 05-04-2014, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hm, Ill have to go back over it then. I was thinking I done all 4, but I honestly cant remember. The diy that I followed, I just assumed all 4 needed to be set, but I honestly cant remember if the intakes have the slots for the adjustment tool or not.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hm, Ill have to go back over it then. I was thinking I done all 4, but I honestly cant remember. The diy that I followed, I just assumed all 4 needed to be set, but I honestly cant remember if the intakes have the slots for the adjustment tool or not.
Here is what your missing, yes all four belt sprockets have bolts but if you look closely at the exhaust sprocket holes under the caps you will see a sort of ring around the bolts with 4 slots and this is what the castled socket is engaging and adjusting.

Ever since I've been a member here I have read about half the 3.0 TB service jobs that do not adjust them and get lucky (as I cringe) or not do it properly after a cam or head replacement.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Would the adjustments go back to a set position once I start back at step one, with pretty much the removal of the belt and loosening up all 4 cam sprocket bolts? Im just know real sure how I would know if the exhaust adjustments are set right once I tighten the bolts back down.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Would the adjustments go back to a set position once I start back at step one, with pretty much the removal of the belt and loosening up all 4 cam sprocket bolts? Im just know real sure how I would know if the exhaust adjustments are set right once I tighten the bolts back down.
Yes go back to step one and Read! Read! Read! the pdf I sent like your life is dependent on it, We Can Do This!

Lets get this car back on the road!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So you can drive to Northeast Ohio and have a few brews with me
Old 05-05-2014, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If I get this car running, I will be come to Ohio and buy those brews for you, haha. I may try and work on it tomorrow, depending on how I feel after work.

Quick Reply: 3.0 Starting Issues Possible Timing