A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

3 days, then a wrecker

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2000, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 days, then a wrecker

I purchased an A6, after 3 days it was towed off to the amusement of several people. I was told which Mercedes dealer I should have visited...........

Now, on day 6, I only hear the word "backorder" and "we'll get it done" and other assorted BS with no date that I'll get my car back.

There is a sensor on the transmission that failed during the mechanical inspection before I purchased the car. 300 miles later that same sensor failed, placed the transmission in "fail-safe" mode 100 miles from home.

Now that sensor is on backorder, I'll be without a car for a week after purchasing a $40K car. Anyone else out there have a similar problem?
Old 03-02-2000, 08:53 PM

Default Lemon Law

If the car is out of commission long enough Lemon Law will come into Play..

Depending on which state you live in the rules vary.

Definetly Check out this option , and also call AoA.
Old 03-03-2000, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Lemon Law

Sorry, I'm new to Audi; what's AoA and how do I contact them?

I have already researched the Lemon Law, the car has to be out of commission for 30 days during the first 18 months in Virginia.
Old 03-03-2000, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Parts Parts Parts

A week? Looks like they really have one over on you. It took my dealer a month and a half to get a full set of lug bolts (backorder story also). When I picked them up after calling them and finding out they were in (they didnt call me even though I'd been waiting over a month) I was talking to the service mgr. about the parts situtation. He says nothing has changed, and that all parts even VW are very hard to come by. "We just cant get anything in" was his exact statement. How long does Audi think they can get away with this crap? E46/E39 looking better and better. If they think prospective buyers arent thinking long and hard, they can think again. SM
Old 03-03-2000, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tell AoA they should direct your dealer to...

take a sensor off another A6 on the lot. You shouldn't have to put up with this. Maybe if Audi has enough new cars unsellable because they've been cannibalized, they'll get this parts situation fixed.

I had to wait 6 weeks to get a replacement coolant fitting for the cylinder head - it didn't disable the car, but I've been wiping up antifreeze from the floor of my garage for the last two months. The dealer just replaced it today, and also completed the brake recall work - got the notice on the recall in October, and they finally got the parts a couple weeks ago. This wasn't any immediate safety hazard, but it's still a long time to wait.

Your situation is entirely UNSAT for a new car, you should lean hard on AoA.

John G
99 A6 Avant
00 S4
Old 03-03-2000, 05:51 PM

Default Re: 3 days, then a wrecker

Is your A6 a 4.2? If so, there's a known problem affecting some of these cars that might be the problem you're having. A transmission wiring connector isn't watertight--if water gets in, it shorts out the connection and puts the transmission in "limp" mode.

The permanent fix is to replace the section of wiring to the transmission with one with a redesigned connector. A temperary fix is to seal the connector with sealant. There's an Audi factory technical bulletin on this problem at the URL shown below (bulletin 01-00-01).

Good luck--I trust the remainder of your ownership will prove far more satisfactory!<ul><li><a href="http://tech.vw.com/audi/newtech.htm">http://tech.vw.com/audi/newtech.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 03-10-2000, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 3 days, then a wrecker

I would agree with you. The parts problem is not a secret anymore but audi still call to do their survey to see "How did you like your service experience!" They'd do themselves a favor if they stopped the stupid, annoying surveys. They just remind you how bad things are. I need a car in the fall but may look elsewhere. I was told by a reputable source at a San Francisco Bay Area dealership," There is too much silicon Valley money, too many cars bought and no way the dealers can serice all the warranty work"