A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

4Driver4 you seem to know about suspension. I can get Koni Sport Shocks.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4Driver4 you seem to know about suspension. I can get Koni Sport Shocks.....

with either H&R, Vogtland, or Eibach Pro Springs. what springs do you think will give me the best balance of handling and comfort.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default You got the wrong guy for specific feedback on spring kits. We run stock suspensions in all cars...

...except the Miata. With the Miata, I wanted something stiffer than stock that would reduce body roll without damaging the balance of the car. The result is 450 lb springs up front with a larger sway bar and 396 lb springs in the rear with no sway bar (factory bar removed). The factory coil overs were replaced with a non-adjustable aftermarket kit and the shocks are adjusted almost to full height to bring the car as close as possible to stock ride height so that the full travel of the suspension is used and bumpsteer is avoided.

My point is that when you step away from stock, you need to find a vendor you trust, explain your goals. Want to stiffen the car and reduce understeer but still want the car to ride like stock? Want to stiffen the whole for handling, ride quality be damned? Just want to lower the car so that it looks cool? Three goals, three or more suspension choices.

For our Audi's, I love (really love) the stock sport suspension in the A4 Avant. It is a near perfect balance of handling and ride quality. IMHO, it is the "right" suspension for that car. The factory regular suspension is a POS. For the A6, the factory suspesion is too soft; way too much wallow and roll. The wife likes it (that's what matters) but I bet some larger bars could balance the car better and without disrupting ride quality.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:42 AM

Default That's good to hear

You said: "For our Audi's, I love (really love) the stock sport suspension in the A4 Avant. It is a near perfect balance of handling and ride quality. IMHO, it is the "right" suspension for that car."

If ever I consider changing from my stock sport suspension, I'll come back and read this ;-) I already felt that it was the case for me anyway. It feels great, doesn't have room for lots of toy penguins, but isn't stupidly low either.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I think that is why most recomendations here are fit an aftermarket uprated anti-roll bar kit....

alright, anti-sway bar kit, sorry.

Then follow by possibly fitting a spring and damper kit. If you want stiff, go for Bilstein, for a more compliant ride try Koni - not sure there is a Koni kit for quattro cars although you would think there should be?<ul><li><a href="http://www.dcdezign.com/products/bilstein-b12-suspension-kits/audi/a6-(4b,-c5).html">http://www.dcdezign.com/products/bilstein-b12-suspension-kits/audi/a6-(4b,-c5).html</a</li></ul>
Old 06-13-2008, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 2nd. After reading TONS of posts about sus.opts., I've concluded that stock sport

makes the most sense for me at this time (family sedan, no track use...yet).

Since I've only driven stock sport and stock non-sport options, my experience is limited.

I've had to use others' experience to inform my recent decision to go to stock sport.

Long way of saying that it's nice to have access to so many opinions and so much data.

BTW, that Shadowline Optik pgk. looks great!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:44 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

A6 Factory sport package springs and rear sway, and Koni yellows.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just curious; How will that combo differ from stock springs/shocks?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:08 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Stiffer springs will reduce squat dife and roll. Stiffer dampers will control the springs better...

and will decrease roll rates. Makes a HUGE difference.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Fear the Miata!

i love the sport suspension on the a4 usp, but the co's on my a6 are very good as well
Old 06-13-2008, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, Kris. So Konis and stock sport springs work well paired? &lt; indecision again...AAH!&gt; :P

Quick Reply: 4Driver4 you seem to know about suspension. I can get Koni Sport Shocks.....