A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

6 Speed Transmission (Code GBE) with APB 2.7 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Speed Transmission (Code GBE) with APB 2.7 Engine

Has anyone married the 6 speed (code GBE) tranny to an APB engine? I got 2000 A6 2.7, local shop has a VERY nice low mileage tranny from an A4 with 3.0 engine (not sure the code) for a very very good price. My original 6 speed transmission code is EDU. Is it possible?

I took physical measurements and the length as well as the width and the length of the shaft as far as the diameter of the shaft are exactly the same. I'd imagine the gear ratios are different, if so how would it affect the performance if it IS in fact possible to make the two work.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kirill Arushanov
Has anyone married the 6 speed (code GBE) tranny to an APB engine? I got 2000 A6 2.7, local shop has a VERY nice low mileage tranny from an A4 with 3.0 engine (not sure the code) for a very very good price. My original 6 speed transmission code is EDU. Is it possible?

I took physical measurements and the length as well as the width and the length of the shaft as far as the diameter of the shaft are exactly the same. I'd imagine the gear ratios are different, if so how would it affect the performance if it IS in fact possible to make the two work.

Thanks in advance.
You'd need to swap the rear differential if the final drive ratios are different. Keep your driveshaft and axles.

Something wrong with your tranny?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
You'd need to swap the rear differential if the final drive ratios are different. Keep your driveshaft and axles.

Something wrong with your tranny?
My drive shaft has a very very slight, almost buzzing vibration at about 2k rpm, no matter what gear im in, it depends on the rpms. That in turn causes the input shaft seal to leak, and of course a fairly unpleasant driving experience. It's definitely an odd issue with these transmissions, but I bought it with high miles... even though it's a one owner car, and the engine was in tip top shape when i got it, transmission definitely was not ok, but the car was cheap so i bought it. I replaced the hydraulics, as well put a brand new clutch kit including the pilot bearing when I bought it. The initial issue was the leak. I replaced input shaft seal twice. I know I have done it exactly to the specs. Still leaks. Then I felt the buzz after driving it for a bit.

I realize I could probably rebuild it myself fairly easily. Rebuilding things requires time, which I don't currently posses, but a quick day on weekend of swapping one for another at about the same cost as a rebuild (or less depending on what one wants to do). Do I want a shop to do it? No, I do everything on my car myself. So I figured a local shop has a 6 speed for less than 1k and only 65k miles on it vs 168k that my current tranny ran. Therefor the consideration of transmission with lower miles vs. rebuild.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kirill Arushanov

Thanks in advance.
No guarantees here but with some more info I can do some research and hopefully give you a good idea of if it "might" work. I need to know the year of the A4 the tranny is coming from first of all. I looked up 6 speed manuals for 2000 A4's and the only one listed is the EDU/FTG which would obviously work. As I am sure you are aware, ETKA is not set up to show what parts "might" work in certain cars so this will be a guessing game with a good amount of confidence if we can get the right information to start with. Let me know the year of the A4 and I will do my best to get you an answer.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jake-AudiUSAParts
No guarantees here but with some more info I can do some research and hopefully give you a good idea of if it "might" work. I need to know the year of the A4 the tranny is coming from first of all. I looked up 6 speed manuals for 2000 A4's and the only one listed is the EDU/FTG which would obviously work. As I am sure you are aware, ETKA is not set up to show what parts "might" work in certain cars so this will be a guessing game with a good amount of confidence if we can get the right information to start with. Let me know the year of the A4 and I will do my best to get you an answer.
The tranny came from a B6 A4 with 3.0 engine... not exactly sure but I think it was either 05 or 06, code GBE... my car is 2000 A6 with code EDU tranny...