A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

6-Speed Wiring Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 6-Speed Wiring Help?

Hey all, I was hoping to find someone with a 6-speed car who can help me interpret this wiring diagram. I pulled about a pound of automatic transmission wiring out of the front clip, and I'm rerouting the remaining necessary wires (reverse, starter interlock, cruise control power) to be more practical. If someone could tell me where the reverse light switch wires run through to the interior and about how much length I'll need to make it easier to service, I would appreciate it. Also, trying to figure out the "pin 39" wiring, because the diagrams I've got don't seem to make sense. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
Hey all, I was hoping to find someone with a 6-speed car who can help me interpret this wiring diagram. I pulled about a pound of automatic transmission wiring out of the front clip, and I'm rerouting the remaining necessary wires (reverse, starter interlock, cruise control power) to be more practical. If someone could tell me where the reverse light switch wires run through to the interior and about how much length I'll need to make it easier to service, I would appreciate it. Also, trying to figure out the "pin 39" wiring, because the diagrams I've got don't seem to make sense. Anybody have any suggestions?
I can probably find out for you when the shop starts putting mine back together. Also, what is pin 39 for? I might be able to make sense of it from my wiring stuff.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know about pin 39. I think it's got something to do with the clutch pedal, but other than that, I don't know. As for the wiring, I pulled ALL the wiring out of the front clip and did the following:

- Routed blue/black and blue/red (reverse light switch) through the firewall in the original location, turned right behind the engine and above the exhaust heat shield in a factory wire clip, tied to metal clip on transmission

- Cut brown/white and brown to about a foot long, routed to lower clutch switch for starter interlock. Considering using a brake light switch instead (circuit closed when button released), so the pedal doesn't have to be ALL the way down. Haven't done that yet, still not sure I want to.

- Spliced green/red into blue/black (switched positive) so cruise control is powered anytime the key is in accessory/run position.

- Crimped all connections with weather resistant heat-shrinking butt splices, wrapped all wires with cloth chafe tape, managed with zip ties.

All that's left to do now is to figure out what adding a wire to pin 39 on the ecu does and where to connect it, because it's a little bit unclear in the diagrams. That, and remove the rest of the auto transmission wiring from where it comes through the firewall all the way to the TCU box.