A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

'95 S6 or a used A6 2.7t?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 S6 or a used A6 2.7t?

Here's my dilemma... I've come across a pretty decent opportunity on a '95 S6. The S6 is a car that I lusted after for years as I drove my '92 100CS.

I've been driving my A6 2.8 for 6 months now and I've become accustomed to it's luxuries, it's ride, and it's handling (it DOES handle really well for a family sedan).

I'm just not sure if I want to get into the S6 or wait around until I find an unbelievable deal on a used A6 2.7t.

Does anyone have any back to back experience with a C4 S6 vs a C5 2.7t? I'd love to hear your impressions.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:34 PM

Default Umm personally I'd do the 95 S6.

Something to be said for the 5Cyl turbo.

(There's a S6 a couple of blocks away from me that I would consider if the owner ever put it on sale...)
Old 05-06-2003, 04:47 AM

Drop me an email - many things to consider.....
Old 05-06-2003, 05:58 AM

Default Personally I would not go from a C5 A6 back down to a C4 S6...I do however recommend the 2.7T...

its great
Old 05-06-2003, 06:07 AM

Default '95 S6 vs. A6 2.7t (long)

BTDT.

This is a very good question. I have always maintained that the true successor to the UrS4/S6 is the A6 2.7t (rather than the S6 4.2). I could prattle on for hours about details, so I really need to know what is most important to you.

Luxury? A6 (not so much in appointments, but it is much quieter and rides better).

Handling? A6 (UrS is too sensitive to being lowered and requires additional modifacations to be aligned correctly, though it does weigh a bit less).

Brakes? A6 hands down (though there are solutions to this problem).

Engine Reliability? UrS6 (2.2 20Vt is bulletproof, 2.7t...not bulletproof).

Engine Maintenance? UrS6 (MUCH easier and cheaper to work on since it has less of everything than the 2.7t, points for the A6 for having ODBII, though).

Engine Performance? Tie. (2.7t might have a slight edge (both chipped and not), but there is still more ultimate performance out of the 20Vt for the few and insane, though the 2.7t will catch-up eventually.

Engine Sound? UrS6 hands down.

Exclusivity? UrS6.

Looks? UrS6. Obviously, this is purely subjective so it depends on what you like. I like fender flares (UrS6), fat rubber (UrS6), and short overhangs (A6). A6 2.7t still looks a little dumpy to me.

I can go on and on and on. Specific questions are welcome. For kicks, here are my first impressions of my A6 after 24 hours, which I posted to my local car club (maybe here too?). I have settled into the car much better, but upon review, I still have the same complaints, though I have adjusted to them:

First 24-hour impressions:

SUSPENSION: Okay, I have only been in the car for a day and that suspension has to go. Keep in mind that I don't even have the sport suspension. I threw it into a corner this morning on 2222 and...well, it was a mess. I won't be able to do anything right away, but suspension, wheels, and tires are at the top of my list. I will put the Abts on sometime this week, but I'm not sure if I will like the dark wheels on the light car. If it doesn't work, it may be time to say goodbye to those wheels. They are too heavy to put on the track car and I think I want to go with something else for the A6. I'm thinking I would most like the RS4 copies (like Hugh). We'll see.

2.7t MOTOR...very strong but...[shrugging shoulders]. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having that very familiar 258lb-ft back at my disposal. It seems to be available anywhere at anytime. I LOVE it. That engine makes much more sense than the old I5 20vt in a road car, especially in a luxury car. Still, I can stand a little lag for a bigger kick on boost. Just a personal preference. Also, I prefer the symphony of the I5 at full song. The V6 sound isn't as thrilling to me. No biggie, I got one of those others in the garage.

TRANNY: Since power seems to be available anywhere and at anytime, why do I need a 6-speed? Not only does it suck (short shifter mod is also at the top of the list), but I'm not sold on needing six speeds. Since I have them, I feel obligated to use them and I find myself all over the place trying to figure out where I am supposed to be. It rarely matters because I press the go pedal and the car just goes, no matter what gear I'm in. Also, I have pretty long arms and yet that throw to fifth seems WAY out there. Just me?

BRAKES: Way over-boosted, way too grabby, almost impossible to heel-toe downshift. However, there is massive amounts of braking force. Nice.

If I sound overly critical, I'm not. I really like this car. It will just take a few weeks to get "fit" into it.

Later,

Jimmy "My A6 floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee" Pribble
Old 05-06-2003, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depends on what you value most. The old S6 gets you a VERY rare car.

I put a high value on rarity. I don't like seeing myself coming and going. That's what I miss the most about my old 90Q. The old 5 cylinder engine was an engineering marvel, and the '95 is it's optimum form.

Downside: '95 body style is kind of drab. It's an older car with older technology. Not as fast (in stock form) as the 2.7T, probably not its equal in handling or braking.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: '95 S6 or a used A6 2.7t?

Great feedback, guys, thank you very much.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone back and forth on this issue. I'm playing a bit of cat and mouse with the dealer, unfortunately. I'm apprehensive about buying a car site unseen (other than digiPix), and I want to force myself to wait a few days to be sure I'm not jumping into an impulse buy.

The rarity issue is a good one, and I felt a bit like that about my 100CS; I only saw others occasionally. The S6 will be even more rare, though who in the general public knows what it is? Almost no one. In fact, I just had to explain what it was to a Passat owner. How can you drive a VW and NOT know what an Audi S car is?

If I feel like I still want the S6 tomorrow... I'm buying it.

Anyone interested in a '99 A6 with 54k miles? Cold Weather, Convenience, and Enhanced Safety packages. Audi CD Changer in the trunk. Volcano Black Mica, tan interior. I'll throw in a trailer hitch for free!