A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

98 A6 FWD - NO ECU communication with vag. or OTC or OBDII- of course ABS light on

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 A6 FWD - NO ECU communication with vag. or OTC or OBDII- of course ABS light on

Hi there I am having some trouble with a 98 audi A6 FWD. Symptoms : Check engine light on, Abs brake light on, rough idle and stall when gas pedal is not being applied. Main problem is communication with ecu, with the vag scanner it will not connect to ecu or tcu when the abs module is connected, HOWEVER when abs is disconnected (plug out) it will only communicate to tcu but not to the ecu, also the rpm gauge works only when abs unit is disconnected. When I connect with OTC scanner it is the same story but it sort of barely communicates with ecu only to read out old codes. When I connect with regular obdII scanner it communicates reading a p1750 code (for MAF most likely) but once i erase the codes the scanner reads no codes while check engine light is still on. ALREADY tried : 2 different ecu, 1 other maf, 3 different abs units, also just plugged in a different throttle body just to see if the module was throwing the ecu off. All fuses have been checked and cleaned, no sign of water near tcu or ecu. I have opened the side panels under the fuse box to the left and right and found one of the plugs looked unplugged but I can not see any place for it to plug in. Also have left the battery unhooked in attempt to erase but no change. My suspicion is that the throttle body is bad or misaligned but without a proper ecu communication there is no way for me to attempt that. Previous repairs done to the car not when i had it include timing belt and camshaft sensor. Any help would be appreciated!

Make: Audi
Model: A6 FWD
Year: 1998
Engine: 2.8L