A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

99 A6 starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badinstincts
$220 is a lot, like I said i got a OEM Remanufactured STARTER AND ALTERNATOR for $220 inluding shipping, from an auto parts seller on ebay.

The solenoid most likely wouldn't be easy to change, and most likely you will not find it sold seperately. Its just better to change it as a unit.

A click with no cranking is definitely a starter/solenoid problem, especially if your battery is good and engine/tranmission are not locked/broken/frozen, etc...
I am getting a Bosch reman starter from Advance for $220. I think that is a fair price from a retailer and not ebay. I don't mind spending that.

As for tools, I have most of them due to different car maintenance and two alternators thanks to the first one crapping out.

I don't mind doing the work and I don't mind paying the money if it works and gets me back on the road.

It is definitely the solenoid from the sounds of it and the voltage readings.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:02 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RUFUSDESIGN
I am getting a Bosch reman starter from Advance for $220.
Good luck with that.

I strongly recommend you buy a better starter from Joe at Axis or one of the vendors on this forum.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Good luck with that.

I strongly recommend you buy a better starter from Joe at Axis or one of the vendors on this forum.
It needs to be decent enough to sell the car.

So I got everything out today but the starter. There is only one bolt and one nut holding it on, but there was only one bolt and that is it. The nut was not there and obviously was never there. However, the starter is seized into position and I can't get it to budge. Anyone have any tricks or ideas how to get it out?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

It needs to be decent enough to sell the car.
It's a question of how many times you want to start the car. Good luck with it.

So I got everything out today but the starter. There is only one bolt and one nut holding it on, but there was only one bolt and that is it. The nut was not there and obviously was never there. However, the starter is seized into position and I can't get it to budge. Anyone have any tricks or ideas how to get it out?
This is confusing. You got one bolt out and can't get the other? Can't find the other? Starter is seized in place after bolts are out?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
It's a question of how many times you want to start the car. Good luck with it.

This is confusing. You got one bolt out and can't get the other? Can't find the other? Starter is seized in place after bolts are out?
It was me being completely dumb and forgetting that I had to access the bolt head from the back with the front, right wheel off. I felt like an idiot for not remembering that.

Car started right up and runs perfect now. I do have a grounding problem with the new battery though, but that was not the cause as I tested the starter both while in and out of the car.