A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.5 TDI Quattro Tiptronic slipping transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 2.5 TDI Quattro Tiptronic slipping transmission

Hi! I seem to be experiencing a problem with my Tip - when accelerating in 2nd gear, I have a feeling it's slipping. It only grips around 3000 rpms, and then changes to 3rd gear normally at 4000 (if floored). Another thing is when in Tiptronic mode (not in auto) and on a downhill, 2nd gear doesn't hold until the speed increases over 40 km/h, and then the engine starts reving up. It's a feeling just like in lowe rpms the 2nd gear is "loose" and the engine is not firmly connected to the wheels. No problems in 1st gear, works like a charm.

Is this a software or mechanical problem. I had my ATF changed at the authorised Audi service but no improvement. They seemed not to know what to think. They also told me everithing looks normal (as much as they saw during the ATF change).

When driving uphill in 2 nd gear, I also sometimes notice a burning smell when I stop.

Any ideas?????
Old 06-21-2005, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did they just change the fluid? Or did they drop the pan and change the filter, too?

If they didn't do the latter, go try that ASAP. I suspect the "burning" smell is slipping clutch plates. Not good.

What transmission is on that? The 5HP19A (same trans as with a 2.8 petrol engine)?

We never got the TDIs on this side of the pond.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html">Procedure for a 5HP19A is pretty much identical to this. I've done both.</a></li></ul>
Old 06-21-2005, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Did they just change the fluid? Or did they drop the pan and change the filter, too?

Sorry, dont know if they changed the filter or not (I suppose i'm naive and think they should know what to do since they are authorised Audi service).

I forgot to add that the problem is the same in Tiptronic or auto mode.

What if the clutch plates are slipping? Is this expensive/dangerous?

I will try to get the info from the service and post ASAP.

Thank you and best regards.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

If the clutch plates are toast, you're into a trans rebuild.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: If the clutch plates are toast, you're into a trans rebuild.

OK, so how much are we talking about approximately?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Check the fluid level

When automatic transmissions are drained a significant quantity of fluid remains in the torque converter. If they refilled using the specified amount(Audi's listed quantity) of fluid your trans may be overfilled. This is bad and can quickly lead to blown tranny seals, etc.

Check the level with the car running and in neutral. If its overfilled or you see foaming get it to the dealer.

Other than the tranny issue, how do you like the 2.5TDI engine? Are you pleased with the power and economy of the engine?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:43 AM

Default You can't check the fluid level from the top in this tranny (if it's similar to US versions). You

have to have the car elevated and level, with tranny cold and then it requires a 17mm hex key to remove the large fill port. This is on the bottom of the tranny pan (see the tech write-up).

If they did not replace the filter, go back and talk to them because if you just do a fluid change, the new fluid dissolves the grunge in the tranny and this then plugs the old filter causing the tranny to be starved for fluid (same thing as driving with the fluid level way low). This can kill the tranny and this is why a lot of dealers refuse to do fluid changes. If you change filter as well, there are rarely problems - I've posted a write-up from a B5 Passat 2.8L 30v tranny fluid change. It's a great thing to do if you have the proper fluid and change the filter at the same time.

Good luck and I sincerely wish it is something minor (or the dealer covers it at no cost to you)!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

There's a Euro transmission rebuilder here locally, that would do it for around $3-3.5k
Old 06-21-2005, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I greatly enjoy mine

Guess the fuel savings aren't as large as publicity numbers would indicate, but then I don't drive very much highway so the engine isn't allowed to shine.

Power is plentiful, but it takes a little while to arrive. I wonder what the guy programming the transmission was smoking, but my guess it's illegal in pretty much every civilized country!

The transmission behaves as if connected to a NA petrol engine, so it upshifts early when I'm gentle on the pedal (which is fine), it downshifts while the engine could still go 200-300 rpm down and pull cleanly (which is acceptable).

However, when I put the pedal to the floor the transmission downshifts as much as it can, frequently leaving me at the redline in 2nd, then upshifting two nonproductive seconds later. Also, if I floor it at lower speeds, it'll run all the way up to the redline (even though power is very poor from 4000 rpm and up), then find the meaning of life before upshifting.

Same problem with tiptronic shifting, at wot it will spend two seconds in gear after I push the shift lever.

Maximum acceleration seems to be achieved by only pushing the throttle enough to have the transmission shift at around 3800-4000 rpm.

For overtaking other cars, I push the pedal nearly all the way in, so after a second or so hesitation the transmission has found a good gear and the turbo is online, then the car accelerates very quickly.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Check the fluid level

Hi,

thank you for advice. Yes, I'm quite happy with the diesel engine, it produces 180 hp and consumes between 8 and 9,5 liters of gas oil per 100 km. Apart from the tranny problem, no issues so far and the car is great.

I also drove the new A6 with 3.0 TDI engine (225 hp), Quattro and Tiptronic. Great car, a significant improvement over previous model. But the cost of a new one with some extra equipment comes to around $80.000, so I decided to stick with my current vehicle for awhile longer.

Quick Reply: A6 2.5 TDI Quattro Tiptronic slipping transmission