A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

a6 2.7 with smoke after warming up

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a6 2.7 with smoke after warming up

Hi guys first post here. I have a 2000 a6 2.7T. It was cold here yesterday and started out to town when I looked back and smoke was engulfing the street. appeared to be white. So i pulled over quickly and saw that it was dripping oil slowly under the front middle of the engine. Also when I pulled out the dipstick to check the oil level it was pressurized and spit all over the place. I took it to a non audi garage today and the guys said it had oil in both, I believe, intercooler hoses which meant it smoked both turbos. I personally find it hard to believe both went at the same time but hey im no mechanic. Can you guys give me some heads up on this before I spend 3200 replacing both turbos.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Classic!! Good thing you posted here. Good news is you absolutely nailed the symptoms. Here's

the cause: early model 2.7T engines have a known history of this issue. Your exhaust recirculation is blocked, in two possible places: A frozen "F Hose" and/or a frozen breather valve. As the pressure builds in the engine as a result of these blockages, it forces oil through whatever passages are avaiable - cam seals, turbos, valve seals, etc. You already noted the pressure in the system when you pulled the dipstick out. The oil is forced into the cylinders, exhaust, etc. and therefore you end up laying a serious smokescreen.

Chances are very good that you'll be perfectly fine. First, though, ensure your engine oil level is good - you probably lost more oil than you think, so double check that.

Next, clean stuff up as best you can; this will allow you to keep an eye on leaks and see if they continue.

Based on my own personal experience with this issue, your turbos should be fine. I had plenty of oil in my intercooler intakes, etc. and that was maybe 40k miles ag0 - and the turbos still run fine.

Next time you see the "smokescreen" pull over and slowly let the pressure out of your system, either by loosening the oil cap, or by pulling the dip stick, as you did today. Once the pressure it equalized, retighten the oil cap and leave the dip stick maybe 1/2 out so no more pressure builds. Once the oil is at normal operating temps you can push the dipstick back in all the way.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default How many miles does the car has? Stock Engine? Chip?

I'm thinking maybe the headgasket is leaking or the coolant is mixing with gasoline. It could be the blown turbos but I would check the HG too. Take it to a place that specializes in Audi/VW before jumping to conclusions based by non-knowledgable biased mechanics.

Also, during winter things inside the engine get cold and smoke is not an unsual sight.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Grapeking- funny thing I just frozen F Hose. Misfires, Uneven Idle,

and the car really felt weak. Good think I heaven't blow the engine.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 PM

Default Re: How many miles does the car has? Stock Engine? Chip?

117000 on car all stock
Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Classic!! Good thing you posted here. Good news is you absolutely nailed the symptoms. Here's

can this still be it even if after I released pressure and reinserted dip stick and then started driving again it was still smoking.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Classic!! Good thing you posted here. Good news is you absolutely nailed the symptoms. Here's

I will have them put the car back together and start taking it apart in the garage. Does anyone have pics of these hoses and valve I should check.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup. Been there, a couple of times. Was your car smoking a lot?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default IT will continue smoking until the blockage has thawed - so if the oil is not

fully warmed yet (which can take quite some time in these cold temperatures) then you'll simply continue to re-pressurize the engine.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default LOL. Retrieve your car and never return. GK is dead on. This is a cheap fix.

FWIW, I think you should paypal half the $3200 to Grapeking for saving yer butt! ;-)

Quick Reply: a6 2.7 with smoke after warming up