A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.7T fast but not exactly the handling of a BMW 528...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2000, 09:08 PM
Scott S

Default A6 2.7T fast but not exactly the handling of a BMW 528...(long)

So, I've decided the A6 2.7T is for me. Best engine in its class by a long-shot and fabulous interior. I currently drive a 93 Rx7 and it was surprising to me how the biturbo setup in the A6 performs similarly to the twin turbo in the Rx7 - smooth power across most of the band (except at low RPMs in 1st gear - just like the Rx7.)

But, while I don't expect the A6 to handle like an Rx7 (hehe, not much else does) I was hoping it would be closer to the BMW 528. Now, if you haven't driven the 528 you owe it to yourself to see how a car of this class can be designed to handle. Man, is it nimble. The steering is precise, the suspension tight but not harsh, and the breaking very predictable.

I like the breaks on the A6, but other than that the handling really leaves a lot to be desired IMO. The front end ploughs big time. And doing figure 8s in the A6 is like being on a boat - first you roll one way, then the next. The steering is OK, but again not in the class of the BMW.

But fine, I know that some folks call the BMW harsh and that Audi appeals to that crowd somewhat (although they shouldn't be buying the 2.7T, but I digress.) And, perhaps the new sport package addresses this (sounds unlikely given the definition Reto S got) but I'm not gonna wait 3 months to find out if its worth it. I'm gonna buy one before the end of the month!

So what I'd like do to is change the wheels, tires, springs, coils, shocks, etc. to end up with a good handling A6. I'm not gonna race it so I don't need to go nuts (thats what the Rx7 is for - but I do want a car that acts predictably (and doesn't roll / plough so much!)

What needs to be changed? I'm definately going to change out the stock wheels and tires to help with the steering a bit.

But what about the shocks? Springs? Tie rods? Braces?

Thanks (this seems to be a common topic, perhaps a FAQ, hmmm... I'll definately be collecting responses so I guess I can start it!)
Old 02-19-2000, 09:14 PM
John

Did you check the S4? If you can live with a smaller car that is...
Old 02-19-2000, 09:23 PM
Scott S

Good point, but I need the bigger car (family pressures ya know)...
Old 02-19-2000, 09:23 PM
April

Go to local Abt dealer and drive car - much more easy to balance than BMW
Old 02-20-2000, 07:00 AM
Mike Kwok

Default April, can you email me?

I'd like to know more details of the Abt suspension rework. What is involved and how much is it (or do you have a contact for this?)

I live out on the East coast and would not be able to get out there just to drive a car. Does your contact also know if there are Abt dealers in the East coast.

Many thanks in advance
Mike Kwok
Old 02-20-2000, 07:57 AM
David Bishop

Default Re: Did you check the S4? If you can live with a smaller car that is...

Exactly my logic. Tested the 2.7t 6speed, then the S4. About the same straight line acceleration, but the S4 wins in the twisties hands down. Rather than the A6 2.7t 6speed I had on order headed here on a boat, I'm trading (hopefully selling, see my post on this forum) my A6 2.8 tip for the S4 instead of 2.7t 6sp. I don't need all the room in the A6
Old 02-20-2000, 06:36 PM
Winston

Default Re: A6 2.7T fast but not exactly the handling of a BMW 528...(long)

I agree with you the BMW is a fine handling car but it will not perform anywhere near the level of the A6 2.7T with 6 speed manual with sport package. Good or bad weather,BMW has alot of work to do to catch-up this car. I know because I test drove both cars and guess which one I purchased.