A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.7T or Saab 9-3 Viggen

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2000, 02:47 PM
Mike

Default A6 2.7T or Saab 9-3 Viggen

Any comments on the 9-3 Viggen in comparison to the A6 2.7T?
Old 01-04-2000, 03:46 PM
Todd W

Default IMO no contest

An overboosted Opel with horrible torque steer vs. a turbo quattro, color me prejudiced but it is no contest in my opinion (and that very plasicky interior, yech!). The 9-3 competes with the A4, not the A6 in any case. The 9-5 does have some redeeming qualities, but the chassis of the Viggen just can't control the power from what I have heard/read. The predecessors of the A6 quattro chassis can handle 500 hp, so I see no reason why the A6 2.7T should have any problems.

Just my $0.02

Todd W
Old 01-04-2000, 03:53 PM
stanj

Could not have said it better
Old 01-04-2000, 06:09 PM
Steve R.

Even the 9-5 Aero pales in comparison
Old 01-05-2000, 05:18 AM
Martin VW

Default No Back Seat in the 9-3, but if that's not important to you, why not get the S4? (more)

But don't take my word for it. If you are seriously considering the Viggen, read the C & D comparo that pitted the Viggen and other sports sedans against the S4 (same drive train as the A6 2.7T). The S4 beat the M3. The Viggen? Fuggettabowdit.
Old 01-05-2000, 05:49 AM
mn

Default Re: A6 2.7T or Saab 9-3 Viggen

Why are you comparing these 2 cars? Slobs dont even come close. The only slob that is even in the ballpark is the top of the line 9-5. Why don't we compare it against a chevy impala while were at it!!
Old 01-05-2000, 06:51 AM
harinder

Viggen is Swedish for turbo .......... lag
Old 01-05-2000, 07:29 AM
Stealth

Default SAAB = Swedish Automobiles Always Breakdown

C'mon, Would you compare a 9-3 viggen to a BMW 528? I don't think so. them why would you compare an A6 2.7 to the Saab? The Audi is better than the BMW, That should answer your question.
Old 01-05-2000, 08:15 AM
Bevan

Default Comparison with 9-5 Aero

A comparison with the 9-5 Aero would be more appropriate.

Despite other comments on this board rejecting Saabs out of hand I'll weigh up the pros and cons.

The Aero and A6 are similar size, and the power/torque outputs are also similar, although the Audi has 20 extra Bhp all out.

The viggen costs 41k list including sport pack and 17in wheels, the Audi similarly equiped (inc aftermarket 17in wheels) costs 46k list. You give back about 1k of the Saab price advantage over time because it does not have free servicing.

In terms of available options, Xenon headlamps, Nav System and proper head level airbags are not possible on the saab. The audi does not have the dubious option of saab/GM's OnStar system.

In terms of standard equipment, the saab is of course 2 cylinders and two driven wheels down on the Audi.

Having driven both, the saab is a little less accelerative than the audi, and will easily wheelspin when pulling away, but there is hardly any trace of torque steer, even at full boost. The audi obviously can be launched at unfeasable rates with its quattro system. In non dry conditions the audi will be far superior. The saab has a superb ride, and corners sharply with little body roll, the audi rolls a little more but is even more comfortable. Overall the two are surprisingly close on ride/handling (given the 9-5s humble chassis origins).

The saab engine is smooth (for a 4) and not too laggy, but the A6 biturbo is a class above, in sound, smoothness and response, and it edges the saab on outright grunt, despite the weight+friction of a AWD drivetrain.

In terms of styling, well thats in the eye of the beholder, but the aero looks good to me with its lowered stance and 17 inch wheels, the audi looks more substantial and once lowered and equipped with 17 in wheels is better.

Quality on the saab is almost up to audi standards, but the audi interior is far nicer.

So the choice is, if you only have 40k to spend the saab is probably better than a similarly well equipped A6 2.8 non quattro if performance is a major priority, but if spending the extra 5k is not too much of an issue, then the 2.7t is a better car.
Old 01-05-2000, 11:58 AM
wik

Default da

Just for fun I will try to give the Saab some much-needed support. I had two saab 9000s before switching to Audi, and as for "always breaking down", (which is true of my volvo 850), over 250,000 miles in Saab 9000s have given me some real respect for the way Saab builds cars. I would put their mechanical durability up against anything Audi ever built. Plenty of 200+k mile Saabs for sale bear this out. They have equal rust-through warranties, and so on. It would be silly to label Saabs junk.
As Car & Driver said in their review of the 9-5 Aero, it is a very nice car with no partricular faults and some real strengths, but the A6 2.7T is the better car in the low $40k range. Not universally better, mind you (steering feel, if my 9000 Aero was any indication, must be far better in the Saab, as should audio performance)

Quick Reply: A6 2.7T or Saab 9-3 Viggen