A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.7T vs. A6 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 2.7T vs. A6 4.2

Dear Readers,
I will be purchasing an A6 very soon but have not yet decided which model. I live in an area with lots of snow, which is one reason why I opted for Audi. As far as I can tell, the only differences between the 2.7T and 4.2 are that the latter is slightly wider, has power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, and has different tires. The performace is about the same, if not slightly inferior for the 4.2 (according to audiusa.com). Am I missing something - why does the 4.2 cost more, and what are the real benefits? Is it simply the fact that the 4.2 is not turbocharged, so get better reliability?
Old 03-29-2001, 09:33 AM
Elder Member

Default rear seat is different too

2.7T is more designed to be able to fit 5, 4.2 designed to fit 4 more comfortably.

The 4.2 is a litle better looking (it has a different front end also) and a longer range due to a larger gas tank.

The 4.2 is a worse performer in numbers, but goes somewhat more effortlessly although actually has very slightly more engine noise.

However, it's up to you as to whether these relatively minor things are worth the large price difference. There are plenty of arguments either way.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:33 AM

Default Here comes the can of worms..

The 2.7T is slightly faster to 60, but the 4.2 feels smoother, has a particularly strong torque curve (not that the 2.7Ts isn't) and some different option packages and features, and is, as you mentioned, more reliable. My choice, the 2.7T, but only because it is available with a manual transmission. Many 2.7T owners also love the availability of performance enahncing after market options, from chips to wheels and so on...Also, most of the press (R&T, C&D, Autoweek are the ones I read) says that a 2.7T Tip is slower than a 4.2 in all categories, including 0-60.

If money's not an issue, and you don't have to have a manual, go for the 4.2
Old 03-29-2001, 09:34 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default The 2.7T is a much better car than the 4.2

: )!!!!!!! Wonder how many 4.2 owners I had on the hook with that sentence!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ the sound of the line just spooling off the reel!!
The 4.2 V8 is silky smooth and its looks are muscular. I believe there are some standard items that are options on the 2.7T. Maybe April can help with this one since she has spent alot of time in both.
I do have one pet peeve the 4.2 got the flush headlight washers and the 2.7 got those big bug eyed looking thingys on the front bumper that seem to whizz by the front windshield every so often!! : )
Old 03-29-2001, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: A6 2.7T vs. A6 4.2

Very different engines! The 4.2 is a V8 4.2 liter while the 2.7 is a V6 twin turbo 2.7 liter engine. While there are other things (ie. 4.2 is 1+ inches longer and has more flair in her hips), that's the bulk of it. I wouldn't make a decision because of tires because the 4.2 tires will fit on the other. I myself bought new wheels and larger tires for my 2.7T. Also, both the 2.7 and 4.2 have a tilt/telescoping steering wheel so throw that one out.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That power tilt/telescoping wheel is nice ;) actually,

it is. It's nice to have it move up and out of your way as you get in or out and automatically go to your personal setting when you close the door. But that's not the main difference between the two.
The availability of a 6spd in the 2.7T is probably a major factor for many, although only ~12-15% of 2.7Ts are sold with manuals.
Despite the different 0-60 times, I would predict that in day to day driving, there is little practical difference in performance. When pressed the 2.7T may be a bit lighter and more agile while the 4.2 surprises you how agile it is for a 4000+ lb car. Some will say at the top end (toward 100-130 mph) the 4.2 is quicker. Don't know, haven't compared, but this is unlikely to be of major significance usually. I like that the 4.2 has no turbos. I like the smooth, calm, yet enormous power of a V8. Others may like the higher revving rush of the turbocharged engine. I have a, perhaps, irrational cautiousness regarding turbos (although this is not absolute as high on my wife's car list are the S4 Avant and allroad).
Visual differences, which I find significant, are the lower, wider stance of the 4.2 and the more aggressive, longer, squared off grille. The 4.2 also comes with different optional wheels and tires than the 2.7T.
Inside, aside from the steering wheel, things are essentially the same up front, but in the back, the 4.2 loses the center headrest and for all practical purposes is a 4 seat car as the center rear seat is brutal for all but those you despise. The cupholders are also in the rear armrest in the 4.2 and I believe pop out of the front of the seat in the 2.7T.
It is unclear regarding reliability, but anecdotely, here, there seem to be more turbo-related issues than "engine" issues in the 4.2. But then again, many more people here have 2.7Ts than 4.2s.
Either one is awesome, just go with the one that keeps you up at night the most. For me, the 4.2 was the only one, but for others, the 2.8 or 2.7T floats their boat the best.
Have fun choosing.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not automatic and memory power tilt/telescoping wheel, however!
Old 03-29-2001, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the 2.7's steering wheel adj. electric and stored in memory?
Old 03-29-2001, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4.2's engine sound is nicer though.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:56 AM

Default aftermarket products for 2.7T

One of you mentioned that the 2.7T offers a wider variety of aftermarket upgrades than the 4.2. Sorry for being so ignorant (I'm an Audi newbee), but what kind of performance upgrades are available for the 2.7T? Are these the so-called "chips"? Would installing such components invalidate the warranty, or have some adverse effect I'm not aware of (incl. resale value)?

Quick Reply: A6 2.7T vs. A6 4.2