A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.8L V6 Catalytic converter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rs4-380
there is enough contortion involved to just reach the bolts let alone take a picture while doing it.

As stated the top bolt can be reached from the top of the engine, if it is the driver side move the coolant tank out of the way for more room, if the passenger side move the air intake tubing. The other two bolts can be removed through the wheel well after removing the wheel on the appropriate side.

I know you want pictures but there is not any specific way to do this. There are 3 bolts, you should be able to see them from underneath the car, through the wheel well and underneath the car, however you can contort yourself to get them off is the 'correct' way to do it.

It is NOT easy to get the downpipe out. Yes it is only 3 bolts but it takes a certain amount of tolerance and ingenuity to maneuver everything to get it out (and back in). This is nowhere near as complicated as a timing belt change but if you aren't comfortable doing that you may want to find someone else to either do this job for you or give you a hand.
Thanks again for your input.... I am trying to save some money so I can do more stuff with the car. The guy that I really trust really charges an arm and a leg, the stealers on the other hand change 2 arms and 2 legs. The goal is to try to do as much as I can and leave the pig stuff to someone with more tools.

I am going for it next weekend. I'll let you know how it truns out. any last min advice? sand paper, gunk removal for the cat? O2 sensors cleaning? Thanks again!!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Best replacement catalytic converters for 1998 audi a6

Anybody have advice on the best replacement direct fit cats? Multiple manufacturers on the web from Davico, Bosal, Eastern, Magnaflow, etc. WOuld like to keep price down ($200 or so apiece), but also want to avoid problems with persistent VAG codes and difficulty installing. Please rate your experience with any brands you have tried, and I will post my experiences once I move ahead with this replacement.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyboymd
Anybody have advice on the best replacement direct fit cats? Multiple manufacturers on the web from Davico, Bosal, Eastern, Magnaflow, etc. WOuld like to keep price down ($200 or so apiece), but also want to avoid problems with persistent VAG codes and difficulty installing. Please rate your experience with any brands you have tried, and I will post my experiences once I move ahead with this replacement.
Unless you buy the entire downpipe, you have to cut and weld.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Best after-market cats for audi a6?

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Unless you buy the entire downpipe, you have to cut and weld.

I was planning on buying the full down-pipe assembly as a direct-fit part, but am still wondering if anybody has had experience with these many different brands that are available (good or bad)? One brand that caught my eye is "Exhaust Distribution" for about $200/side (see below). Any opinions out there? I will post my experience once I complete the job but am hoping others can weight in on pros/cons. Thanks!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A6-1998...60f8a0&vxp=mtr
Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

So how was your experience with the direct fit pipes...personally I'm doing the same thing and direct fit does not mean the same thing I expect. I've had to cut and weld the stuff into place and does not reflect what many folks would think of as 'plug and play'. It took me way longer than I thought it would and that was making the after market part fit right