A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 4.2 poor headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 4.2 poor headlights

I have a 2001 4.2, and the standard headlights on low or dipped beam at crap, on high or main beam they are fine. Seems like the adjustment is set real low, is there any way to adjust or improve them?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

All 4.2's came with xenon meaning it should have thr automatic alignment on the headlight.

If your headlights are yellow, oxidated or foggy that will lower your light projection. Clean the headlight lens and if that doesnt help, maybe new xenon bulbs.

Last edited by rohit13; 11-06-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes I have restored the lens and they are clear, I understand that the Xenons have auto adjustment, but they just seem to be set at a low level as standard, hence teh question is they can be risen or improved
Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by d6lc
Yes I have restored the lens and they are clear, I understand that the Xenons have auto adjustment, but they just seem to be set at a low level as standard, hence teh question is they can be risen or improved
u need vag com to adjust lights,
Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d6lc
Do you get a dash warning light? In any case, sounds like one of your leveling sensors isn't working.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am going through this now. They are supposed to level themselves according to the signal they receive from the level sensors in your wheel wells. I used vag com to try and go through the adjustment procedure and got the xenon light in the dash stuck on. It beeps at me every time I get in the car. I looked and it says headlights not adjusted...but it gives me an error when I try to adjust them. My next step is to replace the left front level sensor and try adjustment again. Hopefully that works.

You need VCDS or Vag com by ross tech to be able to see why they are not leveling.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by slowguy
I am going through this now. They are supposed to level themselves according to the signal they receive from the level sensors in your wheel wells. I used vag com to try and go through the adjustment procedure and got the xenon light in the dash stuck on. It beeps at me every time I get in the car. I looked and it says headlights not adjusted...but it gives me an error when I try to adjust them. My next step is to replace the left front level sensor and try adjustment again. Hopefully that works.

You need VCDS or Vag com by ross tech to be able to see why they are not leveling.
If you can get the headlight to the designated level, pull fuse 10 to get rid of the level error. The headlights will no longer move after pulling this fuse so make sure it's aimed at a good position.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Not so...; other for OP

BTDT on my 2000 A6 4.2 a variety of times over the years. Ditto on the 2006 A8.

And for the OP, the lights work pretty well, so definitely make sure they are adjusted and the levelers are working.

HID bulbs also lose a fair amount of lumens over a couple of thousand hours of switched on time, so if you are on the original bulbs you might consider a new set.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rohit13
If you can get the headlight to the designated level, pull fuse 10 to get rid of the level error. The headlights will no longer move after pulling this fuse so make sure it's aimed at a good position.
nWorked exactly as you said....pulled the fuse and no more warning light!! I did, however, just get the front driver level sensor a couple of days ago. I will install it and try to complete the leveling process in VCDS as soon as I get time. Also need to isolate a noise while I'm down there. In the process of replacing the hazard switch as well. Got about a week of drive time on this car and wow, there are a lot of malfunctions already.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The "levelling process" in Vag-COM merely locks the light in place so it will not relevel allowing you to manually aim them. There is no need to go through the Vag-COM process. C5 xenon's do not constantly relevel, they do it only once when you first start the car/turn on the lights. Just allow them to level then don't turn them off during aiming and you're fine.

You want to aim them on a 10% drop, or 2.5" over 25'. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Also, buying good bulbs like Phillips 85122+'s or Osram Xenarc 66240 SVS' will make a MASSIVE difference over your old tired bulbs.

Quick Reply: A6 4.2 poor headlights