A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 4.2 wheel bearing or tire noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see why it shouldn't as long as the car is in neutral.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Put the car on jack stands under the ball joints and run it in gear....noisy bearing will show.
I did it on my 2K4.2A6
Old 10-29-2012, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine made no difference side to side.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

i just jacked the front up and span the wheels, no grinding, span freely and all I could hear was the brakes dragging as normal
Old 10-29-2012, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had to spin the wheels really fast with one hand to hear the noise. I also felt vibrations on the spring.
I could just be the tires. If it is the bearing it will only get worse and the sound louder.

But you should probably hear some difference in the sound with different tires if it's the tires.

A busted wheel bearing makes more of a rumble noise instead of asphalt noise(atleast on my car). I my case the noise got really loud between 70-90km/h and almost unhearable at low speeds.

The seal on my bearing broke on one side witch allowed water to seep in. Corroded the bearing track and got full of rust.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you're careful you can spin the front wheels while it's on the jaks, but not too fast or the rears might drive it forward. Chock the rear wheels and use the parking brake.

You'll likely gat an abs error light that will go away as soon as you drive the car..
Old 10-30-2012, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

After looking at the part prices decided (as I don’t plan on changing the car for a while) to take the plunge and replace both wheel bearings and whilst I am in there both from axles, just shy of $350 for the parts.
As I have just had the winter tires put on the rim at least if it is still noisy after that I know I just have to live with it as a tire issue or a characteristic of the car.
Going to look at getting tome Continental DWS all seasons next spring as well.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All seasons aren't. DWS is middling in dry and not so good in snow.
If you want snow mobility, buy snows.
If you want summer performance, buy summer performance.

If you want neither, buy an SUV or CUV with all season/truck tires.

BTW, it's silly to replace both L and R front wheel bearings unless you KNOW they're bad. They can go for hundreds of thousands of miles, same with axles/CVJs. If you have a torn CVJ boot or a known nuk-nuk-nuk when turning, then replace the boot or the CVJ, not the entire axle.

Bad bearings are unmistakeable when the wheels are turning and car is up on jackstands. Just walk around the car...the noisy ones stand out. It's highly unlikely to be more than one axle.

I thought I was going to have to replace both front axles on my 2K4.2A6 last summer but it turned out to be only one outer boot on one side and one inner boot on the other. Yes, I pulled both axles, but after examination of the CVJs (both wet/sopping with grease and no sand or dirt) I elected to clean the joints and replace the failed boots. The job is so easy once you do it (maybe an hour and a half clock time with air wrench) that it doesn't pay to go with rebuilt axles of questionable provenance. Besides, the outer CVJ boot was less than $25 and the inner not much more.

DFWAB.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well I get the front wheel bearings replaced but the noise is still there, the bearings were worn and slightly notchy.

At higher speeds the noise is probably a little better probably due to the bearings. The indy I used feels the noise is from the tires. So more expense to come and no resolution as yet.

This car is frustrating, I have probably thrown more money on this ‘Cheap’ run around that it was worth!, it’s a love hate thing, if it drove quietly I would love it, but right now I am beginning to hate it. I have spent that much fixing small issues that I almost cannot afford to get rid of it and need to get it fixed once and for all
Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest alignment, but if you installed a set of brand new winter tires, it's too early for the bad alignment to affect the tires so soon.

The lower profile tires shouldn't affect the noise. On my A6, I had various tires on the 17" rim, the noisiest being Kumho Ecsta. Winter tires were fine, no noise, and even when I had the Racing Sparco NS-6 rims with 19" tires and 30 profile, they were quiet and smooth and rode better than the crappy Kumhos.

What winter tire do you have, by the way?

Quick Reply: A6 4.2 wheel bearing or tire noise