A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 Front and Rear Door Alignments

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Front and Rear Door Alignments

Does anyone have any idea how to make minor adjustments to the front and rear doors on an A6.

At some point in my cars life, I think it's has a minor repair. One thing I have noticed is that the drivers side front and rear doors do not line up perfectly. The doors are all flush, but looking from the car sideways on and following the line of the chrome strip at the base of the window, theres a couple of millimeter difference in height. Might not sound a lot, but visually it's really annoying.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default aside from the chrome strip, do the doors line up...

if you look at the seams of the car doors in relation to the body of the car, are the seams uniform? If so, then I would have someone simply reposition the chrome strip. If the seams are not uniform, then I am not sure that this can be adjusted easily. I am not sure how much play there is in the door hinge plate to adjust up or down.

My hope is that your chrome strip is just out of alignment, which would be a simple fix. I had one chrome strip on my driver's side door that shifted rearward and kept scraping the heck out of my arm until I asked the dealer to reinstall it properly. It was sticking out a good 1/2 inch, and that thing had a damn sharp edge. Cut the sleeve of one of my favorite shirts ((

Good luck!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:04 AM

Default Re: aside from the chrome strip, do the doors line up...

Thanks for the reply.

The door seams are not uniform i.e. the door is sitting slightly angled within its apature. This is also confirmed by the bottom of the door alignment running along the sill of the chassis. The gap is slightly tapered, which is very noticable (even though is a couple of mm) when your eye runs down the chrome strips.

Is it just a case of moving the door hinge, or is their some wonderfully complicated Audi procedure?

PS. Is that your motor in the picture? Seriously sweet!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it is adjustable at the hinge...does it look to have been tampered with before...usually

you can tell if those bolts have been messed with before.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Re: it is adjustable at the hinge...does it look to have been tampered with before...usually

Thanks Saakey. No obvious evidence of being messed with, but I am convinced its had a bump at some time and been repaired. I have found a minute bit of paint overspray underneath the front wheel arch, which is all I can see. If it has, it's been repaired very well, but the door is a mystery. Perhaps it's alway been like this but I haven't noticed!!.

You says it's adjustable - how? The front hinge bolts, although I can see them, are blocked by the front wing.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Let me back this up and say, if you are unfamiliar with door aligning, I wouldn't recommend it...

You could end up making your car even worse than it was before (very easily). I would however, recommend that you take it to a reputable body shop and get their expert advice.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Agree. Sounds like a job for the experts.

And yes, that is my car in my sig pic. Thanks for the compliment.

saakey was kind enough to remove the parking lot lines using photoshop...hence, his parody of my sig for his sig...

Good luck with your door!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

lol...oh and i fixed my 't' in the sig ;-)
Old 09-08-2004, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Next, p-shop that gladiator helmet off your roof!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What are you trying to say :-P ...it is a bit obtrusive, but then i wouldn't get my XM :-(

Quick Reply: A6 Front and Rear Door Alignments