A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 quattro 1998 won't crank -HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 quattro 1998 won't crank -HELP

I was driving a while back and my 1998 A6 just started to die and the rpms started to decrease and it wouldn't go when I gave it gas. It died, I tried to start it and it cranked once and then madenthis wierd swirl noise. I checked the timing belt and it was snapped and there is plenty of oil when I checked the dip stick. Im lost and have no idea why it's not turning on. I need the car running soon and don't have lots of money for mechanics to fix it so I'm going to do it myself. If anyone has any ideas please help me out!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

are you for real ? your timing belt was snapped and you don't know why it wont turn on ?
Sorry to say that because it wouldn't start you checked to see how much oil it had would tell me you may not have the diagnostic ability or technical knowledge to get this car running .
Old 11-25-2010, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A6_AWD
I was driving a while back and my 1998 A6 just started to die and the rpms started to decrease and it wouldn't go when I gave it gas. It died, I tried to start it and it cranked once and then madenthis wierd swirl noise. I checked the timing belt and it was snapped and there is plenty of oil when I checked the dip stick. Im lost and have no idea why it's not turning on. I need the car running soon and don't have lots of money for mechanics to fix it so I'm going to do it myself. If anyone has any ideas please help me out!
Which engine do you have?

I'm trying to figure out how you checked the timing belt -- are you sure that it wasn't the serpentine belt that snapped (ribbed belt)?

If the TB snapped, I would think that the motor would be toast... unless you're one lucky ****.

(If it IS the TB that snapped, how did you check it without removing the whole front end?)
Old 11-25-2010, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you looked at the front of the motor and saw a broken belt, it's the acessory belt, not the timing belt. Timing belt is behind the covers on the front of the motor. If that's broken, you have likely damaged the valves. If you're not mechanically inclined, get it to a mechanic.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Based on what he said i think he snapped the acc belt and ran his battery dead ..
Old 11-28-2010, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Airbag
are you for real ? your timing belt was snapped and you don't know why it wont turn on ?
Sorry to say that because it wouldn't start you checked to see how much oil it had would tell me you may not have the diagnostic ability or technical knowledge to get this car running .
LOL, I'm totally sorry! I put this post up and quickly as possible on my phone and didn't spell check it or reread it. I meant I checked the timing belt that is inside the covers, which go onto the cam gears, it's not snapped. There is some slight damage on one of the teeth on the belt, like it's missing but the belt is still connected. I put pressure on the belt where it connects to the cams and it's very stiff. When I put pressure on the belt and it's closer to the crank pulley, (below the tensioner pulley) it had lots of play. I know it has something to do with the timing belt because of that missing tooth on the belt and the lots of play the TB has on the lower region. The previous owner told me the dealership he got it from did a number of services, including the timing belt and it maybe that something could have damaged it where my eyes can't see. The serpentine belt is good also.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just popped the two cam gear covers off and saw the TIming belt
Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well that is better desription but sounds not too much better for the car .. looks like you need to get in their and totally assess damage .. Sounds like you need to at least replace the timing belt .. and that is only a start .. if you see one tooth on the belt missing their may be more ..
Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Airbag
Well that is better desription but sounds not too much better for the car .. looks like you need to get in their and totally assess damage .. Sounds like you need to at least replace the timing belt .. and that is only a start .. if you see one tooth on the belt missing their may be more ..
I definitely need to take a better look at it by reomving the front end and maybe there might be more damage that is visible. Do any pulleys, that have the timing belt running through them, usually break or have problems on this model? It's a 1998 Audi A6 quattro I believe, is there a way to tell if it's a Quattro or not? Also, when I turn the key to crank the motor and it doesn't crank and the timing belt doesn't move, but the accessory belt does move. Just throwing that out there in case it maybe useful info.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

then again, you think you can see the timing belt by popping the hood :-)

glass house dweller, you

Quick Reply: A6 quattro 1998 won't crank -HELP