A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 Quattro Rumble/Vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
sounds like somethings up with the center bearing on the driveshaft for sure, possible CVs on the ends of the drive line failed also. Safe to say its in the driveline, could just order a rebuild driveline and know CVs and center support are new.
Yep, that's what I did. Rebuilt center shaft and no more vibrations or odd noises from that area. $450 with core charge. Not too hard to do. Most guys make a jig to keep the new shaft straight upon installation.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Yep, that's what I did. Rebuilt center shaft and no more vibrations or odd noises from that area. $450 with core charge. Not too hard to do. Most guys make a jig to keep the new shaft straight upon installation.
I have similar issue and am sure it's the shaft, I was going to just get a lower mileage transmission, but you are saying you "rebuilt" your shaft? What exactly did you do? Thanks...
Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, will give them all a good look over. Centre prop shaft would be first on the list as when the car does vibrate it goes all the way through.

However, would the vibration be intermittent? Would the vibration still be there even if there was no load say just coasting in neutral?
Stuart
Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stuart Piper
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, will give them all a good look over. Centre prop shaft would be first on the list as when the car does vibrate it goes all the way through.

However, would the vibration be intermittent? Would the vibration still be there even if there was no load say just coasting in neutral?
Stuart
Not necessarily. When you put the engine under load, it twists and can raise the driveline enough to change the angle of the driveshaft to the transmission to cause vibration.

Edit: i had a transmission whine in my manual mazda3 but only under small load. Turned out bad engine mounts. Caused the engine to drop enough under load that it changed the angle of the driveline.

Last edited by GTA_Driver; 05-07-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kirill Arushanov
I have similar issue and am sure it's the shaft, I was going to just get a lower mileage transmission, but you are saying you "rebuilt" your shaft? What exactly did you do? Thanks...
Sorry about that. I bought a rebuilt center shaft. Here's the link.

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/...rive_Shaft.php

And this place makes a one piece that eliminates the center support bearing totally. If I can find the link I'll post it.

Here it is.

http://www.advancedautomotion.com/pr...products_id=43

Last edited by Huskerbob; 05-07-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry about that. I bought a rebuilt center shaft. Here's the link.

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/...rive_Shaft.php

And this place makes a one piece that eliminates the center support bearing totally. If I can find the link I'll post it.

Here it is.

http://www.advancedautomotion.com/pr...products_id=43
why did you need a whole new shaft?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
why did you need a whole new shaft?
Because the rear cv and the center support bearing were junk. These are also nearly impossible for the average guy to rebuild.

The center u-joint is crimped/swedged in and difficult to remove/replace. You can buy the cv joints and replace them but by the time you get all the pieces parts together and then do the work it's just easier to buy a rebuilt and balanced drive shaft.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Because the rear cv and the center support bearing were junk. These are also nearly impossible for the average guy to rebuild.

The center u-joint is crimped/swedged in and difficult to remove/replace. You can buy the cv joints and replace them but by the time you get all the pieces parts together and then do the work it's just easier to buy a rebuilt and balanced drive shaft.
yikes, that sucks! i though you could just replace the center bearing thingy and it was only 99 dollars.

did you ever try the single piece unit? im interested to see if it is worth while, especially for the price vs rebuilt! unless of course, it doesnt include the CV
Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
yikes, that sucks! i though you could just replace the center bearing thingy and it was only 99 dollars.

did you ever try the single piece unit? im interested to see if it is worth while, especially for the price vs rebuilt! unless of course, it doesnt include the CV
By the time you get done trying to replace the center support you'll wish (I bet) that you had just gone ahead and sprung for the rebuilt.

Not sure on the one piece but the companyt says they work way beter. You do need to order that one piece with cv joints installed , unless yours are good, and I think the price is about the same as a rebuilt.

What to do, what to do???
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Not necessarily. When you put the engine under load, it twists and can raise the driveline enough to change the angle of the driveshaft to the transmission to cause vibration.

Edit: i had a transmission whine in my manual mazda3 but only under small load. Turned out bad engine mounts. Caused the engine to drop enough under load that it changed the angle of the driveline.
see that's where my issue lies, it is not always there. You can drive it and it'll be fine. Then it'll gradually build to a point the whole car is shaking, even felt when braking too!!! Slow down to below 40mph and it clears. Weird is what it is.

Quick Reply: A6 Quattro Rumble/Vibration.