A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 Quattro Rumble/Vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Piper
Hi bob, as mine is RHD its drivers side. Passenger side on yours
Hi Stuart, right you are sir. So the axle is loose on that side? If I understand correctly it is loose at the inner most point where it attaches to the transmission. Are the bolts tight or is the looseness inside the trans? Or can you tell?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Hi Stuart, right you are sir. So the axle is loose on that side? If I understand correctly it is loose at the inner most point where it attaches to the transmission. Are the bolts tight or is the looseness inside the trans? Or can you tell?
Bolts are tight. Seems movement is inside the transmission. They were going to see if the drive flange that comes out of the box was tight (remove driveshaft etc) but feel like that movement is inside.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bolts are tight. Seems movement is inside the transmission. They were going to see if the drive flange that comes out of the box was tight (remove driveshaft etc) but feel like that movement is inside.
Still it would be nice if they can grab ahold of the center drive shaft and make sure it's not the source of the problem. That's where my money would be. Let us know please.

Work is being done by an Audi shop right?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Still it would be nice if they can grab ahold of the center drive shaft and make sure it's not the source of the problem. That's where my money would be. Let us know please.

Work is being done by an Audi shop right?
Ex VW/Audi Tech, main dealers here are useless with cars older than 5 years, all they will do is give you a list of parts with wear, say they need to replace them to 'eliminate' them! All parts on a car with 122k will have wear, alas that IS how they work here.
I had a good hang on the prop, i couldn't get it to move.......but not ruling it out.
The vibration or more wobbly got seriously worse when towing. Without the car vibrates at around 70mph, however, load the caravan onto the back and things change. I can get the steering wheel to wobble, the brake pedal to pulse all as low as 40mph. You set the cruise control at 60mph, set off, things will seem fine, vibration starts to build, gradually getting worse til the point the whole car shakes, steering wheel etc, apply brakes and it can be felt through pedal, slow right down to around 30 and it clears, accelerate and its gone.............for a while.
My only hope is that when they get chance to remove shaft, the bolt securing the drive flange has worked loose, thus allowing the shaft to spin out of true. Failing that it will be a differential rebuild which i believe is a complete gearbox overhaul.
ouch................that could hurt, however happy to pay it IF i know for sure it's going to stop this wobble.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ex VW/Audi Tech, main dealers here are useless with cars older than 5 years, all they will do is give you a list of parts with wear, say they need to replace them to 'eliminate' them! All parts on a car with 122k will have wear, alas that IS how they work here.
I had a good hang on the prop, i couldn't get it to move.......but not ruling it out.
The vibration or more wobbly got seriously worse when towing. Without the car vibrates at around 70mph, however, load the caravan onto the back and things change. I can get the steering wheel to wobble, the brake pedal to pulse all as low as 40mph. You set the cruise control at 60mph, set off, things will seem fine, vibration starts to build, gradually getting worse til the point the whole car shakes, steering wheel etc, apply brakes and it can be felt through pedal, slow right down to around 30 and it clears, accelerate and its gone.............for a while.
My only hope is that when they get chance to remove shaft, the bolt securing the drive flange has worked loose, thus allowing the shaft to spin out of true. Failing that it will be a differential rebuild which i believe is a complete gearbox overhaul.
ouch................that could hurt, however happy to pay it IF i know for sure it's going to stop this wobble.
So with the extra load of the caravan on the back you are pulling the front end up thus lightening the load there. Lighter load might mean less pressure on rotating parts which would keep them damped a bit. Sounds like that may be a guide to the source of the problem. I'm leaning more towards an axle shaft and even other rotating parts on the front. Pulsing in the brake pedal is classic warped rotor/s but I suppose you could get the same pulse from a bent or off kilter axle shaft.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So with the extra load of the caravan on the back you are pulling the front end up thus lightening the load there. Lighter load might mean less pressure on rotating parts which would keep them damped a bit. Sounds like that may be a guide to the source of the problem. I'm leaning more towards an axle shaft and even other rotating parts on the front. Pulsing in the brake pedal is classic warped rotor/s but I suppose you could get the same pulse from a bent or off kilter axle shaft.
yes this is exactly what has got me leaning towards the front, rather than the prop. It was hardly noticeable until we hitched van on, to be honest I thought it was wheel balancing or flat spot on tyre, til the van went on.............then it was clear that was NOT the case.
I can only hope that it is something easy and simple.....I have a holiday booked in 6 weeks and need the car to tow us a 1000 miles round trip!
Failing that sell it and buy a cheap old pickup or the likes.........hardly the kind of thing i'd want to tow with though.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes this is exactly what has got me leaning towards the front, rather than the prop. It was hardly noticeable until we hitched van on, to be honest I thought it was wheel balancing or flat spot on tyre, til the van went on.............then it was clear that was NOT the case.
I can only hope that it is something easy and simple.....I have a holiday booked in 6 weeks and need the car to tow us a 1000 miles round trip!
Failing that sell it and buy a cheap old pickup or the likes.........hardly the kind of thing i'd want to tow with though.
Nice looking A6. It would be shame to see it go. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wallet damage? No sheite! I diagnosed my bad prop shaft mostly by ear but when you get down there and start moving stuff around it seemed sort of evident that the center support bearing was loose and when I dropped the whole shebang the rear cv was dry as a bone.

You can, for sure, tell it's the prop shaft by the vibrations being centrally located as well as the slapping noise when the shaft flops around right under your butt.

As for axles I just look at the boots. If there's grease all over I replace the whole shaft. I know I will catch grief for not just rebuilding the cv but it's so damn dirty to do it I just opt for the new axle. Plus if you have been wearing out a cv joint have you been doing other damage to the axle shaft? Not sure but I've never had a problem with a new axle.

Concerning other things that vibrate I think it would be confined to that which turns as one is going down the road. (No duh Bob) Unbalanced axles, wheels, tires with tread separation and the list goes on.
yes seems I am in for a BIG bill......no make that a HUGE bill. Trouble is gearbox rebuild is now the value of the car.........do I do it, or sell it for spares and buy another one that is straight........really want a V8 rather than a V6 or diesel.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes seems I am in for a BIG bill......no make that a HUGE bill. Trouble is gearbox rebuild is now the value of the car.........do I do it, or sell it for spares and buy another one that is straight........really want a V8 rather than a V6 or diesel.
Go find a V8 Quattro wagon. Then you can buy a bigger caravan to haul around behind it. If you have the time sell this one for bits and pieces. Worth lots of pounds that way I bet.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Go find a V8 Quattro wagon. Then you can buy a bigger caravan to haul around behind it. If you have the time sell this one for bits and pieces. Worth lots of pounds that way I bet.
I have! Its the V8 Quattro Wagon that i got................i aimed high and got a hole in my pocket! lol

Quick Reply: A6 Quattro Rumble/Vibration.