A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6/S6'ers - how are your brakes holding up? Any squeaks or other "abnormalities"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6/S6'ers - how are your brakes holding up? Any squeaks or other "abnormalities"?

I just vented on the ar forum about my 6500 mile ar's on-going rear brake squeak. Understand that this is a common issue with Audi. I cannot understand why this cannot be resolved. I am interested in A6 4.2 or S6 next year but NOT if the brakes are going to sound like stuck pigs. Even the wife and kids are starting to get turned off by it, not a good thing
How are you guys and gals doing? There is a company in Tigard Oregon that can do the Stoptech upgrade but why should us owners who fork over the big bucks have to do our own "upgrades" to fix an design/assembly issue. Comments and suggestions appreciated. TIA
Old 01-10-2002, 11:22 AM

Default Some folks were talking yesterday about brake issues. I'd...

said the only issues I have noticed (and this is an occasional occurence) is some ABS-like feedback coming through the steering wheel. No...not when they're hot and not during very hard braking. Interestingly, I'm getting this as rather slow sppeds (30-40 MPH), and it's not happening all the time. Just weird. Otherwise, brakes are functioning as promised.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:28 AM

I had squeeky brakes, took it to the dealer, indicated 2 pads tore, replaced them, and no more noise
Old 01-10-2002, 11:40 AM

Default Thanks - I'm printing your reply so I can mention it to the service guy when...

I take it in on the 25th so they can check them as well as the rotors.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Mine have a lot of "groaning" noise just before stopping and

when letting them off slowly. I don't think it hurts performance but its really disappointing in a car of this level. That and the spongy pedal make the brakes the low point of the car's performance envelope in my mind.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:09 PM

Default I had girly (pardon, non PC) brakes, now I don't.

Mushy, warped, noisy brakes are no more. The Stoptech upgrade is the best improvement I've ever made to a vehicle.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:21 PM

Default Thanks - There's a company just south of me that can do the Stoptech upgrade...

to my ar. They also do Brembo upgrades as well. Do you have any comments regarding them? TIA
Old 01-10-2002, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Re: A6/S6'ers - how are your brakes holding up? Any squeaks or other "abnormalities"?

My front brakes & calipers were replaced at 5K. Pads disintegrated and froze onto the front calipers. Audi said it was a manufacturing defect.. Now have 20.4K and no problems. They were also warped at the 5K service too.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:18 PM

Default Re: A6/S6'ers - how are your brakes holding up? Any squeaks or other "abnormalities"?

I have a 01 with 8K doing the same thing. Of course, the dealership cannot "reproduce the problem"...typical. Most of the time, it happens early in the a.m. when backing out my drive..or, just after the car is washed. I'm hide now when backing out because the neighbors are looking at me like I'm driving at 72 Pinto.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:25 PM

Default THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES....

I know in the big picture of life that it's just a car but damn it when you spend as much now days as our parents paid for their homes you should expect and get better quality. Yes, this is the first time I have paid over $30K for a car (last one was a fully loaded 1999 Honda Accord EX V-6 sedan with all options under $28K)
I'm fortunate that this is all that I have to bitch about. Thanks again for all your inputs.

Quick Reply: A6/S6'ers - how are your brakes holding up? Any squeaks or other "abnormalities"?