A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 versus Infinity M35X

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I didn't. My A6 was $10k less than the competition.

Have you checked the price of the V8 powered 5-series and E-series lately?

Quattro is so valuable, Audi's giving it away!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Performance means more than 0 to 60 or 1/4 mile.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So you paid less, got more, and you're complaining? Damn, this forum has gotten ugly!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm not 'complaining' about anything.

I love my Audi.

I'm poking fun at the misguided notion that quattro is something that offers really meaningful performance advantages, that's all.

I've never considered understeer a performance advantage, but that's just me.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Correct

It also means such things as stopping, handling and lateral grip. Last I checked the AWD A6 didn't lead the competition in any of those categories, nor did the AWD A4. My C5 (4.2 sport) certainly doesn't shine in any of those categories.

Quattro is a neat feature and a nice marketing spiel, but not much more than that. Unless of course you live in a snowy area. Then it's a fantastic advantage.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:53 PM

Default All I know is that I can take a lot of curves at speeds...

I wouldn't have dreamed of in my old rearwheel drive car or my wife's front wheel drive car in dry conditions. In wet or snow, it isn't even close.

Now one of the reasons for that is probably the fact that understeer doesn't scare me in the same way that oversteer does, and maybe you are completely comfortable skidding through a turn with your rear end hanging out, but I am not.

And apparently I am not alone as I consistently watch all of those 2wd cars slow down into the big turns as I speed up and pass them!

John in Cincy
Old 02-09-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Infinity's AWD SUCKS in snow

My bud has a G35x, and it is completely worthless unless the ground is completely flat. Front wheels get basically no power, even in "snow" mode. I have done some serious pushing with his car.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Interesting.....so Audi's domination of whatever series of racing it has entered quattros in is....

.....coincidence? Blind luck? Better cheating?

This has been debated to death in the past, but it basically comes down to: better use of the available traction.

quattro balances the available traction best, meaning lots of advantages; traction out of corners, better (more even) tire wear, power to the road earlier, etc.

Yes, it often leads to understeer WHEN DRIVEN LIKE A RWD CAR, but when properly driven, quattro (AWD) can be a big advantage. Just ask Hans Stuck (or anyone whose a** he kicked after figuring out how to drive the car - he was PAINFULLY slow at first, but figured it out, then was....GONE!)
Old 02-09-2005, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: A6 versus Infinity M35X

Well, I have driven both of them, and IMO the advantages that Audi may seem to have are not that many. Acceleration of both are pretty impressive,
handling, I would give Audi the advantage, but not by much. As far as fit and finish, pretty close again.
Both cars are understated in looks, but I would choose Audi in this case. I thought the seats in the M35 were far superiior to Audi, in looks and feel. Stereo much better in M35 <DD 5.1 + DVD audio, with 14 speakers are fine. Like the rear view camera instead of beeping noise, NAV seems close to each other, Lane Departure Warning on M35 pretty good, and of course the heated/cooling seats, which are great. I hate to say this, but I am leaning towards the Infiniti as of today, and the only things that I don't like are small trunk, and rear seats that don't fold down in the M35. Just my opinion....
Old 02-09-2005, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default We just had somebody whose wife got stuck at the bottom of their driveway

in her Infiniti SUV. Drove up past her in his Audi to get the tractor to haul the Infiniti up to the house.

Quick Reply: A6 versus Infinity M35X