A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Aaaargh! I just opened our mail and found a photo-radar ticket in it.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aaaargh! I just opened our mail and found a photo-radar ticket in it.....

Sure enough, it was me in the 4.2 doing 46 in a 30 zone. What burns me the most is that only two incorporated cities in the whole state of Oregon are allowed to use photo-radar. Tell me thats legal! (Yes I know it is by special state legislation as a "test" to see if photo-radar should be legalized here, but this is the 4th year of the "study". It smacks so much of entrapment that my gut is burning.

Sorry for the rant, but this kind of venting was less destructive than other things I thought of.
Old 09-26-2000, 03:39 PM

Default Better than a real ticket....

Its all over Colorado. In Denver the ticket is 35 bucks, no points, no moving violation, nothing to your insurance company, etc. Kind of annoying, but I'd rather get 10 photo tickets than one "real deal". I've had 2 so far, and one of them had a great picture of me. I might use it for Christmas cards.
Old 09-26-2000, 03:45 PM

Default Ahem, it is a real ticket here.....

2 points on your record for 2 years and a $109.00 fine. Plus the insurance company gets a memo about it. I have had a perfect record for 16 years until today :-(
Old 09-26-2000, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Aaaargh! I just opened our mail and found a photo-radar ticket in it.....

For what it's worth most of my past speeding tickets occur in those 25-35 mph zones. No more.
Old 09-26-2000, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sorry to hear about your ticket...

Can you get away with no front plate in Oregon (and assuming the photo-radar is of the front of the car)? I haven't used one down here in California for over 20 years. BTW, what two cities are they doing this "test" in (so I know what cities to be careful in, when I'm visiting Oregon)?

Chris JB
00 2.7TM
Old 09-26-2000, 04:09 PM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can you go to "traffic skule"?

Nullifies the points and keeps your insurance carrier out of it entirely. You can even do it on the internet which takes much less time and is at your convenvience. Just be sure the court will accept whichever skule you select.
I sympathize, however it turns out.
Old 09-26-2000, 04:10 PM

Default oops... sorry to hear that (more)

in Colorado they can only make it a fine, basically for nuisance value. For what its worth, an attorney in Denver even challenged that and won.
Old 09-26-2000, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They're not valid in some parts....

I don't have the books with me since I'm out of town, but it said something to the effect that photo tickets are not really tickets.

That they can be contested in court, and that at the end of the day the state's play the "numbers" theory hopping people will pay up. The argument is based around the fact that you can't "give" a ticket. That's why in some places photo ticket points don't go on your record, and it doesn't get reported to insurance companies.

Even a real ticket is not a ticket, though they are valid because you sign on it, while not admitting guilt, just agreeing to appear in court or to take care of it before the appearance date.

Your call, I'm sure you can find a ton of information on this on the web, and if it's a path you want to go, I can get you the names of the books. But if you don't consider it "entrapment", then it's a whole another story.

My view: this is a lazy way of generating revenues for cities. Besides, if everyone who got a ticket contested them, cops would just stop writing them, and they can focus their energies on giving warnings, rather than meeting quotas. And for those who say they don't have quotas, 3 of my best friends are peace officers (1 CHP, 2 City) and they have quotas, they just don't call it as such.

My $0.02,
Ernesto

PS- Sorry for the rant, but it's things like this that really tick me off, especially during election time... Though coming from a foreign land, this is still the best place to live ;-)
Old 09-26-2000, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Didn't you know when you got it? In CA the flash is blinding.
Old 09-26-2000, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that Stu B but I'd say it's time for a Valentine 1.

Quick Reply: Aaaargh! I just opened our mail and found a photo-radar ticket in it.....