A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

About to buy an A6 2.7T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 134 Likes on 85 Posts
Default About to buy an A6 2.7T Quattro

And I may need some help.
I am a n00b here so please be gental. I am selling my Mark VIII LSC and getting a 2.7T. I believe I found a good deal on an 03 with 60K on it for under 10 grand.
I had an 02 S4 a few years back when I worked at Audi so I am fairly familiar with the engine and drivetrain.
My questions are what should I look for? What are common issues these may have other then the throttle body boot and bypass valves? The car is an auto with all the options. I assume they have a timing belt and if so is it 60K that they are supposed to be changed at? If so what is the expected cost of the service?
Before I buy it though I do wana see if there is any other issues to look for.

As soon as I buy it I will get the 93 octane APR tune as well as the better diverter valves and the aluminum throttle body pipe. I learned from my S4 that with that chip the other stuff is mandatory LOL! I will also be installing some R8 18" replicas and am thinking about some lowering springs but since it will be a daily driver I dont want it to be harsh. I have a 500+ HP Cobra for the weekend to punish my kidneys

Any good springs you guys can reccomend? Also is there any other minor mods that make a nice difference? Sway bars worth the money? Bigger brakes? How are the stock brakes?

Sorry for so many questions everyone, I am a n00b though
Old 04-13-2009, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The search function here is quite good

These items have been discussed in depth many times. Do a search and look at the recent results for the latest opinions. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey, thanks for the help!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

A link or two would be nice. I searched for "2.7T common problems" and got allot of threads that had nothing to do with my question. I searched for "sway bar" and got a couple noise questions. "recommend mods" got me info on a chip that I already know about.
Searching for timing belt has only told me its between $700-$2200 to replace and that it should be done sometime between 60,000-100,000 miles.

Was hoping to find a helpful Audi site but so far I cant seem to find one
Old 04-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

If you are responsing to Murph, your post is in the wrong place. Try threaded view, please.

As for common things, there are a variety of oil leaks that can be addressed by doing all the related seals with each timing belt, the ABS controllers go bad but can be rebuilt for $200, the front end components wear out at less than 100k miles, the AirBag controllers fail, and a few other things.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
If you are responsing to Murph, your post is in the wrong place. Try threaded view, please.

As for common things, there are a variety of oil leaks that can be addressed by doing all the related seals with each timing belt, the ABS controllers go bad but can be rebuilt for $200, the front end components wear out at less than 100k miles, the AirBag controllers fail, and a few other things.
Thanks. I figured I will have to do the timing belt and wondered what the belt/seal kit was about. Guess that answers that lol. ABS controller, I assume you are referring to the valve assembly with the actuators? Thats good to know.
Front end components, like ball joints, bushings, end links and the like? Do they have rack and pinion steering?

Thanks for the input!

I cant seem to find a CAI, is the Audi box that good that aftermarket companies figure there is no room for improvement?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default More...

Originally Posted by LaserSVT
Thanks. I figured I will have to do the timing belt and wondered what the belt/seal kit was about. Guess that answers that lol.
The "seal kits" sold are often incomplete. A truely complete kit will contain cam seals (4), cam adjuster seals (2), cam plugs (2), crank seal and valve cover gaskets.

ABS controller, I assume you are referring to the valve assembly with the actuators? Thats good to know.?
Yes and no; not the plumbing, the electrical portion. Check out module master or bba reman.

Front end components, like ball joints, bushings, end links and the like? Do they have rack and pinion steering?
Yup. Tie Rod ends, and control arms.

I cant seem to find a CAI, is the Audi box that good that aftermarket companies figure there is no room for improvement?
The stock air box works best. Search for "hot air intake"
Old 04-14-2009, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
The "seal kits" sold are often incomplete. A truely complete kit will contain cam seals (4), cam adjuster seals (2), cam plugs (2), crank seal and valve cover gaskets.

Yes and no; not the plumbing, the electrical portion. Check out module master or bba reman.

Yup. Tie Rod ends, and control arms.

The stock air box works best. Search for "hot air intake"
Thank you very much! I like to work on my own cars and have alot of hand and air tools. I also have a press so most work is no problem for me. Bushings and such are no problem, I am just glad to see that its not "Trans goes out at 80K and the center diff explodes regularly" or issues like that. I didnt have my S4 very long and it was under warrenty when I owned it so i wasnt sure what to expect.
Since it will be a daily driver I wanted some performance and comfert but not at the cost of over priced parts and maintenence. I like the Audis because for the most part the parts are not very expensive (most are cheaper than my Lincoln)

Well I look foreward to getting the car and I will post some pics when I pick it up. Its silver with the light gray or silver interior. No dings or scratches and is box stock. As I said I will get an APR chip and exhaust right away as well as some nicer wheels. Nothing flashy but nicer then the stock flat face five spokes that it has. Besides, i may want to install a Brembo or Stop Tech brake kit so slightly larger wheels couldnt hurt.
Wonder if 235 is the widest tire I can fit without rubbing if I am gonna drop it 1.5"?