A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ABS and ESP Lights On

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and ESP Lights On

02 Audi A6 Quatro 2.7T

Recently I braked hard to try and avoid passing a stop sign, when this happened, right after the ABS and ESP lights both came on at the same time. When I turn of the car, then back on the lights dont appear right away, but then i drive and brake for almost 5 min and they reappear again. Any clue is it is the ABS Module ? Or Any Sensor?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Any codes?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ABS AND ESP LIGHTS ON

Originally Posted by the_duke
Any codes?
I scanned with OBD II scanner no codes, do I have to scan with the specific ABS scanner? If so, is there anywhere they perform the scan for free?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There isnt really any difference in driving the car, but i still want to know what the issue can be in order to resolve it, since I am planning on selling the car. Like i mentioned this recently happened due to me braking hard trying to avoid passing a stop sign in the dark, Immediately both ABS and ESP lights on the dashboard went on, they do not light up when i start up the car, but 5 mins in driving and stopping, they both light up.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerardo
There isnt really any difference in driving the car, but i still want to know what the issue can be in order to resolve it, since I am planning on selling the car. Like i mentioned this recently happened due to me braking hard trying to avoid passing a stop sign in the dark, Immediately both ABS and ESP lights on the dashboard went on, they do not light up when i start up the car, but 5 mins in driving and stopping, they both light up.
The only way to know what's causing the problem is with vagcom or VCDS to look into the abs module or other VAG aftermarket diagnostic units that are available by Audiworlds vendors (look them up), generic obd2 scanners will not show all of the modules in our cars.

But, IMHO it sounds like a wheel sensor that is acting-up, one of four and that's too many dice to roll on a guess.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW if your looking for free VAG diagnostic scans it won't be free until Autozone or Orielly's stop using the cheapo "limited" scanners, some indy's will diagnose scan for a fee without doing a repair so at least you know what to focus on for your repair.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, ill order a VAG cable and run the diagnostics on my computer, and ill check the wheel speed sensors.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, ill order a VAG cable and run the diagnostics on my computer, and ill check the wheel speed sensors.
Good choice!
If you plan on keeping the car for awhile VAG software or primarily VCDS will pay for it self the first three times used to diagnose compared to charges from a repair center for just the root cause.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

02 Audi A6 Quatro 2.7T

Recently I braked hard to try and avoid passing a stop sign, when this happened, right after the ABS and ESP lights both came on at the same time. When I turn of the car, then back on the lights dont appear right away, but then i drive and brake for almost 5 min and they reappear again. Any clue is it is the ABS Module ? Or Any Sensor?
If you're still having the issue, check to make sure your Mass air flow sensor is plugged in.