A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ABS and Parking braking indicator lights coming on

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and Parking braking indicator lights coming on

I have a 1999 A6 (2.8L 30V C5 platform). Just recently I've had an issue with the ABS and Parking Brake indicator lights coming on at the same time while driving. They usually only flash on for a second or two and then they go back out again.

Has anyone experienced any problems like this before, or know of what this could indicate?

Thanks,
Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you have a bad ABS module, or it is going bad. you can check the connection they can tend to get some corrosion, clean them and see if it goes away if not, ESC tuning has the complete ABS pump/module on sale for $250, the pump does not go bad, I would probably only swap the module and just keep the pump. or you can send yours to Module masters for a rebuild for the same price.
their are several write ups on the module replacement or visit Module masters for directions.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's for the information. Doesn't sound too good, but at least I know what I'm getting into.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you can also attempt to repair yourself! I say attempt because my first try I screwed up big time! but I will repair my next one now that I know what to do!
Basically what happens is their are about 20 or more tiny hair sized wires and to thicker aluminum wires. these aluminum wires supply power to the board and they bust, you need to replace the 2 wires. i first tried to repair them but aluminum is so hard to solder i ended up screwing up 6 or 7 of the tiny hair sized wires which are not fixable unless you are really really really good!!!!!
But i did find out if you just take your time with a small screw drive and scrape away the aluminum wires till you get down to the board(the aluminum is very soft) now it is very easy to repair with 2 copper wires.
but if you open your module you CAN NOT send it back as a core the Module masters. but if you plan on getting a new one from ECS if they are still in stock and on sale you have nothing to loose!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the help. I cleaned the wheel speed sensors off last night (figured I'd start witht he easiest thing first), but no change. I'm going to check the fuses going to the module to make sure it's getting power. If it is, I'll take the module off and send it to ModuleMasters.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rpmk42
thanks for the help. I cleaned the wheel speed sensors off last night (figured I'd start witht he easiest thing first), but no change. I'm going to check the fuses going to the module to make sure it's getting power. If it is, I'll take the module off and send it to ModuleMasters.
It is usually the ABS pump that goes wrong. It would be more helpful if you could scan the car to see what codes ABS controller is reporting.

When the ABS went in my C4 A6, it was actually a plug-in relay on ABS pump that was the culprit. It screwed up the whole system, I could not even access the ABS ECU.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

when both lights come on, ABS solid and park brake blinks it is telling you the Module is bad!!!
the pumps on this car really do not fail, or at least if it did you would only have ABS light on.
I plan on repairing mine as soon as i get the time. If I remember I will post pics of the module and what fails. you just need good eyes, a magnifying glass and a good small solder iron to repair it. and as long as ESC still has your module in stock for $250 their is no risk, if you destroy it buy a new one. I think Module masters repair is close to $250. but they won't take a botched repair so make sure Ecs has one before you start!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ABS Brake Light Tacometer

My ABS light is on, brake light flashes, and the Tacometer drops to Zero. The Climate control then stops working... What is the deal???
Old 09-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Solid ABS light, flashing brake light.

My standard obd2 reader and Autozones reader code, did not read any codes. Rather than spend the money on getting a garage to hook up a VAG-COM system, I decided that it was most likely the ABS module.

I took the plunge, removed it. Some good instructions here:

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp....3_ABS_Removal

Not too hard at all, biggest pain was putting the wheel well cover back in.

I decided to get the unit repaired rather than attempt myself. Looks like a real pain in the **** and potential for an expensive failure is too high. A new unit is in the 500 dollar ball park!

As for places to repair the module, there are at least 3 i know of

http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx
http://www.modulemaster.com/
http://www.autoecu.com/

I used Auto ECU (ASI). I found their website a bit hard to navigate, for example if you use their online tool they have nothing for C5 audis. Although they do repair them. It was back after a week. for 100bucks.

I have not heard a bad word about the other 2 sources either.

I re-installed it this weekend, the wheel well cover was a pain in the **** again, but other than that a really easy fix. And a big saving. Well I say big, by the time I bought the hydraulic jack, jack stands it wasn't quite the saving I was hoping.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

The repair is $40 plus shipping.
STFA, the company is in Tennessee I believe.

Quick Reply: ABS and Parking braking indicator lights coming on