A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Acceleration pull/idles when braking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-1999, 01:59 PM
Nem

Default Acceleration pull/idles when braking?

After an accident and chip adjustment (a month ago) have been dring for 3 weeks perfectly. Yesterday coming to a sop sign and going only 15-20 MPH,as I braked (yes braked-no foot on gas), the A6 avant (1999) pulled away and acceleated to about 2200-2500 rpms. I braked but the car still pulled ahead about 5-10 feet and then decellerated. I had it in several times before and thought it had been taken care of. Aui customer service say that it is impossible and it is now at the dealer as they await for the Audio regional expert to look it over. I'm not crazy but want any feedback or suggestions. Only 2300 miles on the car. This does not happen often, usually when cold but still not safe.
Old 11-11-1999, 06:07 AM
What?

Default Re: Acceleration pull/idles when braking?

If your driving is as bad as your grammar and typing, you shouldn't be on the road! Do us all a favor and call a taxi.
ps...the unintended acceleration thing was total bs.
Old 11-11-1999, 09:16 AM
phred

Default Not to add fuel to this old fire ...

but when I first start up the car in the AM and pull of the garage, it REALLY pulls! I can now understand this idea of unintended acceleration a bit more, because even though I'm a typical sized male I sometimes worry that the brakes won't hold.
Old 11-11-1999, 11:01 AM
Nem

Default Re: Country right or wrong?

I'm glad to see that you were in my car and know what happened. God forbid, something mechanical just may be defective or in need of adjustment. Comments like yours are like those who used to say Country right or wrong or use rehional to defend everything. I love my car but I've experienced a problem. Hopefully my situation is an isolated case but you are small minded by your belief that mechanics may just need repairs once in awhile
Old 11-11-1999, 11:46 AM
William

GMAFB! My Triton V-8. Now that baby pulls when you pop it in gear. Place foot on brake and press
Old 11-11-1999, 02:36 PM
What?

Or that you stepped on your gas pedal by accident and can't admit your mistake? A big problem with drivers today is that they don't pay attention to what they are doing (witness the post in this forum by the guy who wants a TV in his car). If I follow your argument clearly, 1)There is no way that there could have been any driver error 2) If there was any driver error, then the car must have been designed poorly to cause the driver error. I don't agree with the "Country Right or Wrong" rational, but I also don't agree with the current trend of blaming the manufacturer for everything, including poor judgement by the consumer (witness the notorious french fry in the seat belt/Honda settlement)
PS...invest in a spell checker or a least a pair of new glasses.
Old 11-11-1999, 05:18 PM
Stoney

Default C'mon, there have been enough reports of surging...

Some people report brief surges in rpm even when not stepping on the brake. Probably there would be even more reports here except for the closed-minded bigots who jump all over the few that do appear.

The only reasonable position is to remain skeptical but interested in such reports. They are too infrequent to be alarmed about, but too frequent to be completely dismissed. We don't need to take polar positions on this.

No doubt this failure mode – the possibility of unintended acceleration – is given extreme attention by engineers of all cars during the desing and testing phase. Perhaps half a dozen causes might lead to this effect, and preventing it no doubt is a major determinant in the control system architecture. However, there is still a possibility of it occurring, especially with modern computer-controlled engines.

And, all it takes is a small surge to startle the driver or even endanger someone. Anyone driving an automatic transmission Audi knows that the accelerator is heavily controlled by the computer, and that delays in response are common. Perhaps a rare combination of events can trigger a delayed surge that startles drivers.

I work with computer-controlled medical devices, where even greater concern is given to dangerous failure modes. The chances are tiny but nonetheless finite. People die occasionally from software bugs, hardware failures, or electromagnetic interference (either within the device or from outside). A design flaw can remain undetected, perhaps something as minor as a susceptibility to RF interference in the environment, which evades the designers. Note how long it takes for Audi (or any company) to acknowledge a problem even after a dozen reports have appeared on this board. With hundreds of thousands of cars sold, the buyers given them more of a workout than the designers ever could. They have trouble reproducing it.

Consider this: when high-definition television broadcasts started, hospitals begain having failures in medical devices and equipment. Not every failure mode can be totally prevented in advance.
Old 11-12-1999, 04:40 AM
MHart

Default Have you received your recall notice??

I think that it has something to do with the brake booster accumulator malfunctioning in very cold weather. I dont have the notice here in front of me though.
As someone with a technical background, I think that you realize that the 4wheel disc brake are much more powerful than the engine (esp. the 2.8!). Obviously something is wrong with the breaking system in your vehicle.
Document when the problem occurs and discuss it with your service manager. I would bet that it occurs on cooler, damp mornings though.
Old 11-12-1999, 07:38 AM
Kendall

Default Someone else too complained to me about this problem on A6 forum

A couple of months ago, I complained on this forum about why our brand new A6 raced excessively at idle when engine is still cold (something like 1,200 rpm) before settling down to about 900 rpm then to normale engine speed.. And I got a response from someone saying that he experienced idle control problems and actually got into a head on collision because as he braked hard, the engine briefly revved excessively and the car lunged forward causing longer braking distances.. this occurred at around 50mph (as far as he told me) and thus this unexpected intrusion caused his accident... (So he says) So you are not alone, unless a minority of the Audi drivers out there are blaming their mishaps on the engineering of the car... I don't know.. I haven't personally experienced this, but I admit under heavy braking, our A6 doesn't adjust very quickly to the changing engine speed, and sometimes downshifts roughly when speeds diminishes...(particularly when the engine isn't warm yet)...
Old 11-12-1999, 10:15 AM
Nem

Look, I'm not blaming Audi or any other manufacturer. Yes I can and do make mistakes, but the fact is, this has happened about 9 times now. I've been careful and have not stepped on the accelerator by accident. It's happened in the morning or when the car is cold. I'm in Northern California so it is not that cold but a bit chilly in the morning. Hopefully this is a very isolated problem and very rare. Why do so many feel that Audi or any company can do no wrong. It this is real I am sure it is simply a mechanical or computer glitch. As long as my dealer has it and is checking it out, I'm sure the problem will be resolved. If the situation continues, I will return it and continually have it checked.

Quick Reply: Acceleration pull/idles when braking?