A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Access to Diversity Module on 2003 A6 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Access to Diversity Module on 2003 A6 2.7t

I'm pretty sure that my 03 A6 has a bad diversity module. The AM radio has been intermittent for the last year and now the AM is gone completely. The dealer said they want $500.00 to replace it. I'd like to try and fix it myself. What I need help with is how to get access to it to look at it. I know its in the headliner and it needs to be pulled down some but how exactly do I do that? I don't want to just start prying on stuff and make more work for myself so some tips would be appreciated. Also if I need a replacement diversity module, where is the best place to get one on the cheap?

Ballzo
Sacramento, CA
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default diversity antenna module - headliner stays

This is for an 01 A6, but yours is probably the same. No need to have dealer do it. To get to the module, you only have to pull the c/d pillar trim. In the tech/diy section there's a write up on headliner removal that covers removal of all the pillar trim as well. I can't get the Resources drop down to work or I would have pasted the link. Basically, you remove the grab handle and the coat hook. Under the door handle is an oval brass colored gizmo and you pull it out with a pliers. This gizmo is connected to a thin cable that you snap back in during reassembly. Then carefully pull out the pillar trim without bending/creasing it. The module is right next to the rear window and is easy to unscrew and replace. First time you do it, the whole job will take under an hour. 90% of the time is spent monkeying with the pillar trim.

While mine was replaced under warrantee many years ago, my AM began to get scratchy and while putting hose clamps on my sunroof drain, which requires pulling the C/D pillar trim, I pulled the module and cleaned the AM antenna connection with contact cleaner and the AM improved significantly. Still not perfect, but better. You might want to pull the pillar trim and check the connection and the ground before buying the module. The plug might have some corrosion. Also, the wire connection to the antenna in the rear window is fragile and perhaps has a bad solder joint. Chances are you will have to replace the module anyway, but worth a try.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try this again some other time. My wife will never let me have this car long enough to work on it. She insists on driving it no matter what. I'll keep your post though. Thanks!

Ballzo