A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

adjusting sport seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting sport seats

I am trying to get an A6 4.2 and having a hard time. The sport seats are too narrow for me, creating an uncomfortable pressure point along both thigh muscles. The non-sport model is simply not available around here anywhere. I'd rather have the sport suspension anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could fix the seats to make them more comfortable for a wider person. I'm considering going to an upholstery shop to see if they can put different foam in the seat sides....

??
Old 09-06-2001, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can swap seats with someone who "forgot" to order a sport package
Old 09-06-2001, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: You can swap seats with someone who "forgot" to order a sport package

yea...where do I find such a person? Around here...pretty much all the A6's have the sport package.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would NEVER suggest any A6 to anyone without the sport suspension - in fact...

I think that the sport suspension is barely capable of handling the cars mass as it is. The "sport" suspension should be standard and Audi should offer a genuinely sporty suspension for those who want it.

Get the sport package and try it out, you may find that the seats are okay after all, and/or you would probably be able to find someone without the sport pak to trade seats with.

Really, you might want to put in a few more miles in the sport pak with a car from the dealer to see if it's actually going to be a problem. I consider myself a fairly "big guy" (6'/220lb) and love the sport seats.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2001, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I would NEVER suggest any A6 to anyone without the sport suspension - in fact...

I'm going to talk to the dealer tomorrow morning to see if I can borrow a car for a day. For some reason..its just the way I sit I think. I have problems in airline seats too. My legs just go wide...and the sides of the seat push into my thigh muscles creating two pressure points that are quite uncomfortable.

Perhaps it will break-in over time, but not likely. I have absolutely no idea who I could ever trade seats with. Its pretty unlikely that I would happen to find someone that has the same color leather in the same style, but "forgot" to order the sports package and wants the sport seats. Very very unlikely. I see myself as having these options:

1 - Get non-sport, then upgrade the suspension myself(though there has been much confusing discussion on this board about which suspension parts make the most sense for a 4.2 A6, and everyone has their own subjective opinion about what is good and bad). Also, there are no non-sports to be found within 3 states of here.

2 - Get a sport and try to find a way to trim down the seat foam (after driving it a while to make sure I reall don't like it).

I totally agree that I will need SOME Kind of suspension upgrade...whether it be factory or otherwise...
Old 09-06-2001, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The after-market upgrades might work okay for you actually. Anyone with that experience to share?
Old 09-06-2001, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you ask in this forum for someone who wants the sport seats.

I think you may well find someone. When I had my 2000 2.7t I would have been very excited to find someone who would swap his/her sport seats for my standard seats. I did find the regular seats to be a bit more comfortable but they just don't offer enough lateral support for hard driving. Unfortunately the seats cost more than anything else in the sport package so you may well be better off getting the standard suspension, and seats, and then upgrading the suspension. The real advantage of the factory sport package is that you know you will have no problems with the warranty.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: If you ask in this forum for someone who wants the sport seats.

well, its also an advantage that there are dozens of sport package A6's available right now and virtually zero non-sports. I would have to order one from the factory and wait 90 days. Which is a pain also because I have a lemon law car going back to BMW within 2 weeks (yes, a lemon BMW is what I said. ;-)

And...from what I've read....its a bit of a crap shoot to get aftermarket suspension upgrade....since I have read so many differing opinions in here...I would really have absolutely no idea which suspension products I would choose. The factory suspension upgrade is a nice compromise because its not overly harsh, better than non-sport, but also not race car caliber. Perfect for what I want. And...no warranty problems....
Old 09-06-2001, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the dashboard comfortable for a "big guy"?I have often wondered.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is no current aftermarket suspension for the 4.2 eccept coilovers.

I've got black non sport seats to trade in socal.

Quick Reply: adjusting sport seats